Has anyone ever tried this?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by cylinder3missfire, Nov 8, 2009.

1. cylinder3missfire

cylinder3missfire LawnSite Member
    from IL

I ran acros this ad on craigslist, http://carbondale.craigslist.org/hss/1447231835.html If the link doesnt work the guy says he will mow yards for free next year if they let him put a sign in the yard and live on busy streets. Kinda sounds like a way to get screwed to me, or does this actually work? Have any of you done this? Were results worth free services?

2. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Good luck to him. I have existing customers on busy streets that let me put up small signs, no strings attached. Have not received one call this year on them.:cry:

3. a clear difference lawn

a clear difference lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Lets say its an $80 lawn. That means $960 for the year. For $960 you can get 1600lawn signs. Probably not the best idea. Just my opinion.

4. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

Dumb idea for sure, if in a busy area I have put up signs (asked customers first) and had only two calls, make sure the lawns that have the signs look the best course

5. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

seems like a waste of time

6. cylinder3missfire

cylinder3missfire LawnSite Member
    from IL

Its good to see the general opinion/experience is the same. I have been watching a lot of different businesses and it seems what people notice is the truck and equipment. Not a yard sign.

7. LouisianaLawnboy

LouisianaLawnboy LawnSite Silver Member

My opinion on this doing work for free either for an existing customer or potential customer for them to allow you to put a sign up in the their yard is no good. If my customers like my work enough they will let me put a sign in their yard.

8. Tom3982s

Tom3982s LawnSite Member

Seems like a tough way to go about getting business. Not a great idea...

9. Lawn Spa

Lawn Spa LawnSite Member

why put a sign up when you can just letter your truck and trailer? after over 15 years in mowing I can say all my current customers are from word of mouth and walking up to me while mowing and asking how much?

10. Jmart90

Jmart90 LawnSite Member

if lawn signs really had a big influence that would make sense to me, it's like a form of "free" advertising, I say free meaning "to exclude the time and money it costs him" lol. but yea, it shows off his work and gives his contact info, which is what all lawn signs do aha.

imo dumb as hell, and I am a noob to this bizz