1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone gone door to door looking for new business?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mclaughld, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Mclaughld

Mclaughld LawnSite Member

Has anyone gone door to door to try and gain any new business? I think it would work well. My competition is all uninsured, unlicensed, and un....english speaking. It wouldn't take much selling to take their business.
  2. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome to Lawnsite.

Your best bet for an answer on this will be to use the search function on the green bar above. There are ton's of threads on this topic.

Good luck !
  3. Mowerboy04

Mowerboy04 LawnSite Bronze Member

yea i go door to door. i normaly go around once in early jan and once in early march. when i went out in jan i hit 20 houses and got 6 accounts. hope this helps
  4. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

i have done it in the past. I normally wait about 2 weeks into the mowing season and wait till the home owner is sick of mowing or the other LCO has f---- up the lawn. It works for me. I have even done it on commercial accounts. just walk in and say there prop needs help.
  5. Mclaughld

Mclaughld LawnSite Member

How long did it take you? 2 hours? Thats a great return on 2 hours.

What are some sales pitches you use? Maybe customers just like to see someone take initiative, or they've wanted one but never got around to calling someone.
  6. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

I knocked on doors when I first started my business. It was easy because back in the early 80's people were still cutting there own lawns and you could tell which ones needed help by the look and height of the lawn. Now days It might be a bit more difficult and you might rub someone the wrong way(LCO).Now I just keep a bunch of flyers in my briefcase and if I see a lawn in my travels that hasn't been cut in awhile I'll drop a flyer under the mat or in the door. I also keep my eyes peeled for realestate signs with "under contract" on them during the winter months. When I see them, I jot down the address and drop a flyer in late winter hoping the new homeowner has moved in by then.
  7. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

For me this has been the best method of advertisement, and any marketing major will tell you the same. But the setback of this method is very time consuming. I have found that the best day is to do it on a Saturday. Since it is Football season, sunday is no good, plus people like to relax on Sundays and prefer not to be bothered. You dont have to be a "people person", but you do have to look extremely professional, because first impressions are very important on the descision maker factor to a potential customer.

But before you do it, iwould at least read a book on salemenship, closing,and rebuttles. Then you will be better prepaired to handle any situation. Also what might help you out is to think of all the different sales situations and prethink what you would say to the customer for every situation.

I usually say something like this," Good afternoon,
    My name is Josh with All Lawns & Landcare Services,(shake thier hand) We're in the neighborhood today giving out free estimates, would you like me to give you a quick 2 minute estimate? The 3 main responses are YES, NO, and I ALREADY HAVE A LAWN CARE CO! You have to think of good rebuttles for the last 2. Good Luck!
  8. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

Oh ya, I think it is a good idea to only give an estamate for the grass cut only, this way you would only take 2 mins, they can ask about any extras later if they decide to hire you
  9. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I have never done it. I usually pay to have my doorhangers distributed. But this year I plan to start early and will do a lot of them myself. I might consider knocking on selected doors.

I seen a suggestion of having a rebuttal for people that say "no, or I have a current LCO". I think that is a bad idea even if it would eventually land you a couple of jobs. I know when I say no, I don't want to hear any more sales pitch. I want the conversation to end quick so I can go back to doing what I was doing before interrupted. I think most people would allow you to give the 2 minute estimate if they had any chance of hiring you. If they say no, then they most likely don't even want to price compare and that is not a good sign.

I think it is good advice to read up on it. You should have a sales pitch that sells your company, but never knock the competition directly. You can throw hints like we hire all english speaking workers etc. But don't compare your company to any competitors. It looks bad and desperate.
  10. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Dont you have an opinion? Obviously not to send him on the search!

Another "Search Cop!"

Sorry but these sorts of statements sh!t me up the wall. The guy asks a question and instead of answering it, you send him on the merry go round!

Just answer his bloody question! Or cant you or dont you have an opinion?

My opinion on this topic... Give it a go! Its like a door hanger isnt it but you can actually speak back and talk them around etc!

It takes guts to knock on someones door!