Has anyone gone from a Lazer Z to something else...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-Scapes, May 6, 2002.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

and is happier? much happier? disappointed?

I've been unhappy with my Lazer (poor cut) and am ready to try something else...
  2. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

Can't say I have. I started out with Exmark and have stayed with them. The cut is GREAT for me. I'm sure there are guys out there that have:D
  3. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I have always used Exmark w/b's until I recently bought my 2001 Lazer Z Hp. I've only got about 35 hrs on the Lazer so I'm still trying to get used to it. I still like my w/b a little better so far because it will go where the Lazer won't but I think the more seat time I get on the Lazer, the more I'll like it, time will tell. I do like the idea of having both a w/b and a Z. I put the w/b where I don't feel comfortable with the Z.
  4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I went from Cub Cadet ('68),to JD's (318's and F-935's) to SCAG's, to Dixie Chopper, and now to a LC 60" Lazer. Wish I would have started out with the Lazer, but back when I was with JD's the Lazer wasn't even invented yet! Each step I made, got better and better cut wise. I truley feel that the 60" Lazer is one of the BEST cutting decks out there, coupled with a very well engineered mower around it. Add the LC Kawi, and I'm in heaven!

A lot of things can cause diminished cut quality....From.....Worn tires, low inflation, improperly sharpened blades, wrong type blades, deck height, deck pitch, RPM's, grass type, time of year, etc, etc.

There is usually a problem with a mower that slowly cuts worse, and if you just default back to what came from the factory (settings included) you can return it back to peak performance.

TSG, just what is the major complaint? You have one of the best cutting mowers, not many can run with it, let alone surpass it!

What size, hp, year?
  5. Lawn-Scapes

My complaint will soon show up in the Exmark forum...

To make a long story short as possible.. I have never been satisfied with the cut. I have taken it in to the shop a few times explaining this. It just will not cut all the grass with any blade. I'm not talking about stragglers either.. it's either strips or spots of uncut grass. I would be in heaven if it were only stragglers!

Everything always checks out (according to dealer).. pitch, psi, blades, clean deck, rpms (3750). I even replaced a slightly worn belt (375 hours old)...

It's one year old next week...580 hours.. 25 Kohler.. 60" deck

I don't want to go through the rest of this season double cutting every lawn like last year.

I'm hoping to get a rep to have a look..
  6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

What type/brand of blades are you using? This is often the BIGGEST contributer to cut quality. I've used many different blades over the years, and just little differences in design/type can make BIG differences in cut quality!

Big thing that I noticed in your post....(according to dealer) <--- That is an important statement! Did you PERSONALLY check these things, or are you just taking their word for it?
  7. Lawn-Scapes

I checked it... they confirmed. We even checked for bent deck.

I went from solid foil high lift to gators to U notch right now.
  8. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

When I took delivery of my new Lazer Z (60") last spring the deck was nowhere near correct...althought the dealer was supposed to have it all tweaked for me.

I grabbed the manual and did it my self and that thing leaves a beautiful cut. The only double cutting that occurs is when I incounter a lawn that is already too darn high or when it's been really wet.

I dont understand why your Lazer is not cutting properly but I hope that you and an Exmark rep and get it like it is supposed to be. Exmark is good about taking care of their customers...or so I have heard. So far (500 hrs) I haven't needed them for anything (knock on wood). :D
  9. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

they take great care of us. i nearly drove them crazy with my little cutting problem on my metro. fred walked me thru everything to check and it was something I screwed up. anyway, while i was on the phone he had me check some other non cutting related stuff just to make sure everything was still in perfect adjustment. way above the call of duty if you ask me.

are you running a mulch kit or side discharging?

hope they get you fixed up, they really are great machines. i will hopefully have a lazer by the year's end.
  10. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

What Are You Cutting at 3or 3.5 :confused: