has anyone gone up on $ b/c of gass$?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by clyde, May 2, 2004.

1. clyde

clyde LawnSite Senior Member

i was wandering with gas going up to $2 has any one compensated, and gone up on their prices and by what %

thanks

clyde

2. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

not yet, when it hits $2.00 per gal here i think i'll have to. I have no idea what to base it on though, anyone?

3. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

Doesn't Fed Ex and UPS charge at fuel surcharge of a few percent???

4. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I went up a few dollars on every account this season, and none of my clients had a problem with it.

5. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

When you raise prices due to fuel expense, do you tell the customer that is why you are going up? Or do you just raise the price and hope nobody asks why? Or what is the proper way to handle it?

6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

well it's not the customers fault gas went up, why would you make THEM pay for it?

7. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I state that it is a raise because the cost of doing business has gone up, insurance, parts, fuel,etc,ect.
    Dear mr and mrs yada yada:
    The charge for doing the lawn & landscape maintenance will be raised by 2.00-5.00(or whatever $) a week, because the cost of doing business has increased. The increases in insurance, licences, fuel, taxes, etc, etc, etc.
    Thank you!!!!!!!!!

You would never want to say because of fuel increases, because if it goes down, which I dought, they will be asking for lower rates. Always know the reason why you are doing something. And any reason will do, it is your business....

8. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

When gas prices go down or you get a better deal on insurance are you going to drop your rates back down?

9. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

My local trash company has a new fee on the bill . stated fuel surcharge its an extra 2 bucks per pickup.Ive been debating doing the same.I wanted to do it just for the customers further away but then i was thinking i should do it for everyone or not do it at all.If the prices made a big drop i would take the extra charge out.

10. well it's not the customers fault gas went up, why would you make THEM pay for it?

Bobby,
    It seems to me that the prices we charge our customers are determined by a quite few factors, fuel being one of them. If gas gets to $2.50 a gallon as in Ca. and your buying 50 to 100 gallons a week that could be a significant hit. It wasn't to long ago that gas was $1.59 gal. I think that you are right to a point, we need to try to absorb it as long as we can but a time will come that we need to pass the cost along to the customer. Thats just business. If it effects the bottom line for to long, how can you afford to stay in business?