has anyone heard of this ???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wallyturcotte, Apr 11, 2008.

1. wallyturcotte

wallyturcotte LawnSite Member

a friend of mine has been in the business for many years and he told me to soak my trimmer line in a tub of water and soap...?? i guess it makes the line last much longer ?????

2. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

I asked this same question a few years ago on this site. Lots of good answers were given. Basically, if you store it out of the sun it should be alright. The line technology has changed so you shouldn't have to store it in water anymore like the older stuff. I found some line that I had for around 2yrs and still worked like new. Hope this helps.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The water part is right, but NOT the soap. The soap will dry it out and make it brittle...defeating the purpose entirely.

4. bare spot

bare spot LawnSite Bronze Member

was thinking of this tonight, anyone still do this? or planning to?

5. mississippiturf

mississippiturf LawnSite Senior Member

I worked 31 years in the automotive business. We manufactured plastic connectors. Many of our products were sprayed down with water before we shipped them so they would not be brittle when they got to the customer.

6. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

What about all these people that store their trimmer line spools out in the open on spool holders? Will direct sunlight make it brittle over time? I caught this post at the right time because I am planning to install a spool holder within the next few days! Maybe I should make some sort of cover for it to keep the sunlight off it?

7. bare spot

bare spot LawnSite Bronze Member

how bout step further (think it's a step further), distilled water. idk but either way i wanna try it, can't hurt.

8. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

Can't help but laugh~~~~:laugh:

U.V. breakdown is a given on any type of Nylon polymer or plastic. Anything will oxydize over time.

9. TuffWork

TuffWork LawnSite Senior Member

This is a funny thread. You should see what my spool looks like. It is pretty much a giant tangled person in the passenger seat of my truck. Furthermore, I've gotten in the bad habit of forgetting scissors lately, so I keep having to cut the string by burning it with a lighter.

As far as the water thing goes. It sounds like a hassle unless you buy a your string in bulk and store it for long periods of time.

10. CCC52

CCC52 LawnSite Member
    from Zone 5

A friend gave me a coupld of old bulk spools of some generic line a couple of years ago. Pretty wirey stuff and I was close to tossing it when someone advised the water trick. Sure enough it seemed more pliable and feeding difficulties were reduced. I went through the first spool in no time (.080) so I elected to just run it on my old Stihl homeowner unit I use for bed touch-up. I've still got a half spool or so and if it gives me any grief I'll soak it again...