1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone on this site worked for TG/CL?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Agri-AFC, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Agri-AFC

Agri-AFC LawnSite Member

I'm just curious if anyone here has worked for TG/CL? What were your experiences? Did you work in Sales, Management, or Operations?

I have done a search on this site about TG/CL and I noticed many (not all) dislike the company. I realize a company thier size is not going to hire quality people all of time especially in operations. The response I notice the most is thier employees are ghosting lawns because they are too lazy to do the work or they have no background in Turf/Landscaping and don't know what the H*LL they are doing. Would some of you agree or no?

From what I have read, they seem to have a strong sales team and advertising department that has help them with tremendous grow especially with the Landcare division.

I appreciate your responses good or bad.
  2. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

I worked in the Detroit market (Rochester Hills) from 1990 through 1994. I was a lawn tech. in residential 3 years and wide app./commercial 2 years. I have a turf degree from Mich. State (hence the poor spelling and grammer!) and it was my first job out of college. At that time there were probably 4 or 5 guys with 4 year degrees pulling hose. (Some of which may still be there and at that time had upwards of 10 years in.) I got out after the TG acquisition due to the whole telemarketing/sales push and a better offer from another local company. I will say I learned a lot in those 5 seasons about equipment mtc., sales, routing, efficiency, etc... Probably the best way to some things up with CL vs. TG is what one of the "old timers" told me. The Duke Bros.' philosophy was to take care of the employees and they'll take care of the customers. TG's philosophy was to take care of the customers, which later became we want market share no matter what the cost. To answer your question, when I hired in I made decent money, 401K, insurance, etc... and it wasn't a slap in the face coming out of college. Now, I think they want warm bodies, cheap labor, etc... almost to the McDonald's revolving door theory, plus trying to please shareholders by keeping labor costs down. I get quite a few customers of theirs (as do many small operations) who, because of the turnover, are tired of telling a tech. the nuances of their property several times per year. From 1984 to 1994 A LOT changed and from 1994-2004/5/6 A LOT changed. My 2 cents for what it's worth. Marc
  3. kilpatrickshrub&turf

kilpatrickshrub&turf LawnSite Member

i did for awhile and not one of the prouder moments on my resume'.
    one particular a$$ chewing i remember getting is "i dont care how you did things when you had your own business, get the product on the ground and move on to the next one."

tru-brown has rightfully earned the ridicule and scorn from the industry they recv. the only thing that matters at TGCL is production revenue. to their credit... an employee found ghosting or "hanging paper"... (leaving invoice on doorknob with no work done) is fired on the spot however poor quality work is acceptable. do enough to justify hanging an invoice and no more.

while i will agree that there are some newbie tech's that dont know crabgrass from bermuda many of the guys there do know their stuff...... they just are not allowed the time to do a thorough job. "get those numbers up".. or "dont come back to the shop till youve done 1200 worth of revenue".. with a lot of 25 dollar stops thats a lot of houses to do in a day.

everything about this company is designed to squeeze the most profit from the least amount of effort on the company's part. to hell with the men and women that are actually out in the field doing it. if there were weeds, i sprayed them, fungus, i treated it, bugs, i killed them.. and i actually took the time to fill out the "notes" portion of the invoice. i never got saturdays off, never did enough revenue to ever see a dime of commision on my work, and always had the lowest production totals on the board. TGCL didnt give a rats a$$ that i had the HAPPIEST customers with pretty yards.

when it comes to the customer, TGCL just doesnt care beyond the dollar signs. threaten to cancel service and they will jump thru hoops to make you happy but unless a homeowner complains... their house is just another revenue stop. TGCL has the equipment and people to do first rate service and could easily turn their image around and be a company to follow but as long as the money-hungry bean counters insist on squeezing blood from turnips it wont change. i am NOT accusing TGCL of anything like watering down chemicals.... not at all.... but isnt it odd that spraying dallisgrass with a mix FOUR times the rate im told to SIX TIMES in as many weeks doesnt kill it...?????? (chemical concentrations are not on individual jugs of concentrates, ya have to mix it how the chart on the wall tells you)

once i found an affordable insurance package i could handle as a business owner i left and went back to do my own thing. its so nice to know that i do work i can be proud of, i actually give my customers the service and products they are paying for, and i wont be penalized for doing a job right the first time. im in an area where TGCL isnt, i almost wish they were.. i could use the business from their pixxed off ex-customers.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Hey, when you guys worked for them, did you mix your own tanks? If so, do all techs mix their own tanks?
  5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I worked for TG 77 to 82. Production, sales, service. We filled tankers from chart on the wall. I remember helping my manager change the fill charts--we were burning too many lawns--reduce nitrogen 25 percent over 80 degrees, reduce it 50 percent over 85 degrees.
    As i recall Tg was started by some fraternity brothers in a business fraternity-- as Chem Green, a copy of Chem Lawn. Got sued --changed to Tru Green. Not started by turf people--sales and expansion-oriented. Business tycoons.
    One Friday night about 6, the boss wanted to go home. I was on the phone and he finsished up and put my truck away for me, locked the garage door. We left. Next Monday I burned about 10 lawns and killed a redbud tree by root absorption. I had added the fert and weed killer, to half full tank--but no one ever added the water.
  6. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

When I started there we had a crew-not a guy, a crew- that filled and washed trucks. There was one guy that filled trucks and a couple that washed them...every night. I can say there were NEVER any issues with spraying water, watered down mixes, etc... I can't speak to today's operation, just my experience. These "fill guys" worked afternoons/evenings like 2-10 or so. "Back in the day."
  7. lawnangel1

lawnangel1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from KY

I worked at tru green last year when i was only 17. I was hired as a sales guy, but because I was already liscensed they wanted to move me over as a tech. Unfortunately with the trucks they use you have to have a cdl but to get that you have to be 21. I have to say my boss really liked me so he put in an order for a pickup with a tank to drive. When he sent the request off to corporate he explained to them the situation and they were furious that the company had hired a 17 year old. I went to work the next day and the branch manager explained the situaton to me and said that I would be welcomed back when I was 18. The funny thing is when he was soing that he started crying which made me feel good. (I guess they really liked and appreciated me) Long story short I never came back even when I turned 18.
  8. lawnangel1

lawnangel1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from KY

At my branch there was a huge filling station for chemicals. The tanks were 3 stories high. Every monday the managers had to come back late at night and mix them. I thought this was funny because they made it a point that kno one was there. Every Night there was a wash and fill guy that washed the trucks and filled with gas and chemicals. He worked from 11pm to 7 am, and made 7.50 and hour.
  9. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

Corporate was right in sending you home. The Sales manager and Branch manager were likely called on the carpet for hiring anyone under-age. If their insurance company got wind of it both would have been (and rightly so) fired on the spot. Not that I'm defending their policies but, the reason the operations managers were "filling at night" is simple. They have 2 opportunities to do it during the day. First, they could fill after all the Techs. are in the field in the morning on the rare occasion that they don't have appointments to keep with customers during the day. Second. they could fill at night when all the tech's are checked in and the phones aren't jumping off the wall. I doubt it has anything to do with what or how much was mixed into the batch tank(s).