Has anyone run across this?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by eruuska, Nov 15, 2005.

1. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

I did some marketing for cleanups in a VERY large gated community nearby, and have decided to heavily market there this winter/next spring to expand my fert n squirt business.

The community has a website, and there was a link for their fertilizer policy, and there were a few things I found odd:

-- Application of manufactured fertilizers shall not be permitted prior to April 1
    nor after November 30 in any year (due to inability of frozen soil to absorb
    nutrients).

-- Fertilizer Content: No commercial applicator may apply any manufactured
    fertilizer, liquid or granular, which contains any amount of phosphorus

-- You also have to buy a license to apply commercially ($50 plus insurance cert, copies of state license, etc)

I understand the "no phosphorus" rule, as this community has several lakes and streams and there is a real possibility of runoff, but restricting applications to after April 1 doesn't make any sense. How is a guy supposed to get his PreEm in and get it to work? April 1 is just too late, isn't it?

In another section it explains how you can appeal to get around the rules if needed, but I don't know how strict they are.

Has anyone run across this before? Is this worth the effort? We're talking about a community of over 2600 homes packed in to an area of about 2.5 square miles. Lots of retirees and DINKs.

TIA,

2. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like you'll need a straight pre-emergent application if you want to do it before April 1st.

With you being new to the area, I wouldn't do much appealing. Maybe next year, you can try to change the regulations, once you're firmly established and recognized in the community.....

3. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds stupid what is that gestapo communities.

4. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

April 1 is plenty early to get down a pre-emergent. That is why they have these rules, so someone doesn't come in March. It makes perfect sense. Perhaps you should speak with the person who wrote the rules. He seems to have a pretty good understanding of turf care practices.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Why NOT put down in March? Just because the stuff will be all used up by the beginning of May when the majority of stuff starts to germinate? :p :D

I WOULD like to know about this "license" that you need to buy, though...

6. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

The only uninformed issue I see is no fert after November 1. That would tell me their less informed than they think. Everything else I agree 100%

7. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

Excuse me November 30, some of my best lawns in the spring were ferted in December.

8. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

could be a problem if you plan on using barricade (or other prodiamine pre-emergent); earlier is better, unless you don't plan on doing any fall seedings.

9. I actually service a community that requires me to spend $300 a year for the privelege to do business in it.

I am also required to abide by there ordinaces regarding fertilizer applications, which can be found here:

http://librarytest.municode.com/mcc...c/home.htm?infobase=11507&doc_method=cleardoc

I do charge the residents of this community more for the trouble the city puts me through, it just seems fair.

10. I actually service a community that requires me to spend $300 a year for the privilege to do business in it.

I am also required to abide by there ordinances regarding fertilizer applications, which can be found here:

http://librarytest.municode.com/mcc...c/home.htm?infobase=11507&doc_method=cleardoc

I do charge the residents of this community more for the trouble the city puts me through, it just seems fair.