Has anyone Seen a Vac Attachment on a Sthil or Echo BP?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by casey, Nov 16, 2001.

1. casey

casey Guest

According to Echo catalogue there is a vac attachment avail for our PB6000's. Wondering how well this works & how it attaches. I assume the vac bag goes on the blower tube but where does the vac intake tube go?? The frame & gas tank are blocking the fan housing.
    I also notice Sthil's claims for a BR400 vac attachment "A convenient lever on the vac attachment allows the unit to easily convert from blower to vac". Anyone have one on their 400? That sounds pretty strange. How is it set-up?Thanks
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I know that Stihl has one of these setups. My cousin has it. It works well for picking yp light stuff like light litter, cig. buts, and the like. How it works, is actually a T attachment that goes in the blower tube line. When the air blows out of the blower, through the straight tube, it draws air into the T section, thus, forming a vacuum. The bag just goes on the (shortened) straight tube. It's a straight line of air blowing into the bag. I think I saw spmething like this on Bill Nye once!:blob4: Science Rules! I wish there was some sort of program that we could draw diagrams on here. Heck, that would beat coffee shop napkins, even. :cool:
  3. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

They really suck.
    Er, actually they don't suck really.

What I'm trying to say is the vacuuming power is limited and overall performance is comparable to a 21cc vac.
  4. You will do much better with the echo handheld blower/vac,or stihls version. The reason why these perform better is the intake tube is considerably wider and the bag holds more. Its an awkward set up at first, but I use mine lots. I would ultimately go with the Billy Goat arrangement with the sucker hose. Even sucks cans and glass bottles!

5. casey

casey Guest

Actually I am looking to blow debris with the bagless output tube (due to a blower ban). I assume the blowers power on the Sthil BR400 would be cut in half with the attachment Runner describes?
    Still better off with a handheld vac without a bag?
  6. Martino

Martino LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Runner has it nailed. BPs use a Venturi system to vac......extremely poor performance, not exclusive to any particular brand, but inclusive of all brands, due to the limitations of the set-up. Would be much better off using hand held model that vacs thru intake fan. I would advise checking the ordinance to make sure that you can circumvent ban by using blower in vac mode......I would think not.
  7. casey

casey Guest

Thanks for the info. I think BP & hand vacs will be legal, at least for a while.
    Sthil claims you can switch from vac to blower in seconds with a switch. I assume this means the blower output tubes power would double when you switched to blower, by cutting off airflow to the vac tube. This would now be a full power BP. Since the vac tube, I assume, is still attached at this point, the BP would would have the illusion of being a vac without bag & could technically be turned into a vac in seconds by using the switch. I'm thinking we could blow with the vac output tube with the switch on blower in backyards. Since I have never seen this contraption I am wondering if this would be possible.