1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone started mowing yet?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Wells, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

How close would you guys say you are to starting up for the season?
    I'm not talking about aerating, fertilizing or spring cleanups but actual mowing.

In the past years we have always started mowing around the middle of April but with the early spring warming we have experienced around here I'm thinking of getting started on Monday.

I know not all of our clients yards are going to be ready but I plan on doing at least half of them next week. Is anyone else starting early this year?
  2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

We REALLY push for the first week of April every year. Last year we started April 5th, not a full cutting cycle that first week, but at least we got started.

The weather here is warming up, so we are aiming for April 4th, half way into the first week of April.
    We've never started cutting in March, unless it was in conjunction with a spring clean up. The first week is always the hardest, as we often get, "you here already?" .. but the sooner we start cutting, the sooner we "jumpstart" that grass into growing.
  3. THEoneandonlyLawnRanger

THEoneandonlyLawnRanger LawnSite Senior Member

going to mow one this afternoon, then probably will start with the others first week of april as well
  4. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

My start date is the first week of April. We have had 2 inches of rain here today so far with them calling for another 1 to 2 more today. With the current temps and for what they are calling for into next week, I will be more than likely going to cut the fast growing yards towards the end of next week. I want to stay on top of those bad boys early that for sure. We are 6 inches above normal on rainfall for the year already.:dizzy: I hope this year is better than this past winter.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I did one yesterday but it was mostly some weeds had grown, might do my own later today but ditto, the grass just isn't growing yet. I think it really is for april 1st week too, they changed the time early this year so this throws me off too, I'm all ready to go but it really is still March, heh.
  6. Mr Priceless

Mr Priceless LawnSite Senior Member

half my clients are done, with one client in the done half needing her lawn mowed again tommorrow (it's a little strange getting used to weeks flying by again):cool2::weightlifter:
  7. rvincent

rvincent LawnSite Member

no mowing here yet. grass is starting to go from brown to green again though. I would say maybe 2 more weeks. Last year i didnt start mowing until april 20th
  8. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

Not anything here in Indy yet. Mainly just fertilizing and clean ups. Hopefully within the next week or two.
  9. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Nothing here in southern ontario. Just starting to warm up. Hopefully by half way through april.

10. JFF

JFF LawnSite Member

Got a couple that had urea in the pre emergent mix that will get their second cut next week.