1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone switched from Nextel to another

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by JML, Aug 26, 2003.

1. JML

JML LawnSite Senior Member

I am fed up with our Nextels.. They are great but the service in my area for the past few months has sucked big time. I drop about 7 or 8 calls a day, always busy, can't get connection etc. I was just wondering has anyone stopped using nextel and just started using regular cell phones. If so how does it work out.. We have about 13 phones all together, and I am thinking about switching to Verizon or something simliar... thanks

2. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Man, no way. I've been with Verizon, Att and TMobile, asnd now on Nextel, it's great. Plus they now have direct connect which saves me sooo much time and money.

3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i'm "switching" to nextel tomorrow. Unfortunately my old plan on verizon isn't done until July 2004. So, i'm getting a package w/ unlimited Direct Connect for $40. there's no cell minutes included, which i won't need since i've got my old phone still. Another reason i'm sticking w/ verizon at the same time is they have the best coverage in my area, along w/ coverage where i travel to frequently where nextel does not.

4. Rich's Lawn Care

Rich's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Just ordered 3 Nextel phones today. can't wait to use the direct connect.

5. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

nextel sucks in my area swithced to at-t very few dropped calls
    and it is a whole lot cheaper

6. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Right now I can make 600 mins of calls a month, and I get unlimited incoming calls with unlimited direct connect. unlimited web and unlimited something else. I've every service unlimited except for outgoing calls. my plan is like 60 a month or something. But next summer Im going to the 150 a month for unlimited everything.

7. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

I started to switch from Nextel, because here in central Missouri their coverage is kind of spotty, but no other company could touch their price or their service. Especially after Nextel added a bunch of free minutes to our plan.

Randy

8. Rob T

Rob T LawnSite Member

Yeh, been with Nextel for several years. Coverage has gotten beter but it's still spotty. works good in highly populated areas only.

Last year there must have been a problem at Nextel. I kept getting calls on my phone and when I awsered it I was hearing another partys conversation. Then I would get a call from someone I knew (caller Id) and when I pickup theres someone else one the other end. One time I went to make a call and I'm in a 3 way conversation with some strange people. Was weird at first, kind of funny almost. Then after about the 4-5th time it started getting old. That has since stopped. Been OK this year.

9. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

Jml - Have you considered contacting Nextel? At least your local rep.

With you operating 13 phones, im sure the folks there would bend over backwards for you.

10. JML

JML LawnSite Senior Member

Believe it or not, they won't do anything for me. I have called and threaten to leave, they say ok we'll transfer you to cancellations.. My uncle who has only two phones gets everything and anything he wants.. I guess I just have bad luck with who I talk to.. I have three phones that have the unlimited plan $99 unlimited cell incoming/outgoing, and unlimited two way, and no long distance.. Because of that plan and no one can match it, that is the only real reason why I haven't left yet... The main reason we do one condo complex where I have two crews there for a day and half and it is a major deadspot, no one in my crews gets service... I used to love Nextel, the service and customer service, now I have nothing but bad things to say......