Has Anyone thought about using an Electric winch on a gated trailer.

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Lawn Wolf, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Lawn Wolf

Lawn Wolf LawnSite Member
    from 77090

I've seen the lift assist spring for a gated trailer. I was wondering if anyone has thought about putting an electric winch the same way you rig up a spring assist . I've seen some cheap electric winch at harbor for 39 bucks and it's cheaper then the spring one.

2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

It would probably be too slow.

3. Lawn Wolf

Lawn Wolf LawnSite Member
    from 77090

Yeah true. But what's a few seconds vs a couple minutes. Plus the fact that at the end of the day your exhausted and the power helps...

4. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I use it when stuck in the rocks. Got the fastest line pull of any warn winch. You can find fast winches out there and that would be a great idea.

WWW.WARN.COM

5. Varsity L&G

Varsity L&G LawnSite Senior Member

Buy a hardware store type winch and be unhappy. If it is jest for the trailer Get a WARN ATV winch 6k lb or so.

Everything else out there is just SSSSLLLLLLLOOOOOOWWWWW!

South Florida Lawns: Where do you ride on the rocks in FL? From SC here and are always in Tellico for holidays.

6. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Except in old mines, Phosphate and Limestone pits are where we get some good wheeling. But I love going to Tellico and hitting up the trails there.

7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Electric garage door opener bolted on the side rail with the end hooked to a chain on the gate. Hit the button as your getting out of your truck and by the time you walk to the back its about down :)
    All you need is an inverter mounted under the hood or in the cab to convert 12 volts to 110

8. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

So judging by your name "OTD" I take it you have this set up on you trailer?

I knew you were more than just "old" Mac lol j/k. Your as smart as they come.

Rob

9. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

Saw a homemade spring assist on a landscape trailer. Get a garage door spring and attach to the gate and on the side rail of trailer. Put a piece of channel over the spring to stop pinches and to protect the spring itself. Mount the end on the trailer far enough towards the tounge to make the tension enough to help you.

If you can get the spring second hand this should cost $74 or so with a few hours invested

10. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

We have a company here that uses a winch to lift, lower the trailer gate. Their gate is bifold though and I would imagine heavy.