Has anyone tried Clear-Out glyphosphate?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grassredneck, Apr 10, 2004.

1. grassredneck

grassredneck LawnSite Member

I bought 2.5gal of this at the local farm supply store and they claimed it was just as effective as R-Up QuickPro but I certainly haven't found that to be the case. I'm mixing in 2oz per gallon. I suspect the temp's may also be affecting it (cooler than normal lately) but it just doesn't seem to work as well. I'd appreciate some feedback before I buy any more Glyphosphate

2. goforgreen2

goforgreen2 LawnSite Member

#1 if it is like quick pro, it has Diquat in it which will give you the quick burn down. Systemics only work when plants are passing fluids. During droughts and dormant conditions, you will not get a good kill. Also, look at the %. of active, might be light.

3. greenerpastures

greenerpastures LawnSite Member

I used over 300 gal of ClearOut last season. About the same the year before on my ag applications. Last I checked, Clear Out is formulated in China. Quality control is much less there than American based glyphosates. As a matter of fact, we had severe damage on "roundup ready" cotton last year from clear-out applied over-the-top. Agronomist confirmed that clear-out had caused damage statewide to glyphosate resistant crops. The damage was due to poor surfactant quality formulated in clearout. If you are seeking non-selective control,which I assume you are, it is a satisfactory product. We still use a little for that purpose, but not on GMO crops. Clear-out led the price break on generics, but most of the others have matched their price. I have seen bulk prices as low as $12/gal. Glyfos xtra has been a good generic for us and more consistent.

The difference in generic glyphosates is the "loading" of surfactants. All ai's are equivalent and most come "out of the same spigot" regardless of brand. Without a doubt, Monsanto's Roundup with weathermax technology remains the premium glyphosate on the market, but you will pay dearly. It has a higher ai and patented surfactant technology.

As stated above, drought and cool weather will decrease performance. We allow as much as 4 weeks for ryegrass kill during cool months. Also, you might consider at least a 3% solution for spot sprays. Probably more info than what you wanted, but hope it helps.

4. greenerpastures

greenerpastures LawnSite Member

By the way-- I guess due to the dropping price of glyphosates, I am seeing more and more lawns that have been fried due to blanket glyphosate sprays applied to lawns that were obviously not dormant. Hopefully this is not being done by "professionals." I will not perform dormant turf glyphosate sprays unless it is a renovation project.

5. grassredneck

grassredneck LawnSite Member

Thanks for the information and no, it wasn't too much. I've since done a few apps of QuickPro and now realize that the ClearOut product is definitely inferior. I also know the local golf course mechanic who advised of the Super spraying the collars on a few greens w/R-Up in early March and has since regretted it. Good guy, I know him and I'm sure was an honest mistake. Unless I get on my hands and knees to check for stolons and record the humidity+temp records-it's tough to judge the dormancy so I usually restrain myself from any glyphosphate after late Jan in my region