1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone tried going door to door?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-Scapes, Jul 7, 2001.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Hi guys and gals...

I need some more accounts! Fliers are not doing too good and referrals are lacking to non existent. I know it's late into the season but I need about 10 more accounts to be happy...

I'm thinking of going door to door. Has anyone tried this and been successful? Any good opening lines?

2. BrandonGT

BrandonGT Guest

I'm probably going to do that next year.. hopefully, I'll have my own mower by then.

I recommend getting a good first impression by dressing in business apparel. :D

Brandon ;)
  3. i have done this in the past and it worked well for me. now i only do it if i am working in the area for a good length of time, and i like the area.
  4. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

Dear TSG, having ben in sales for 10 years my advice to you is make the initial contact with people any way you can. I put flyers on people's cars, front/back doors then call them that night or the next. You can get their address and phone # from www.infospace.com. Go to the reverse address section, then to the street address. Type in the street address with no specifice house number and you will get everyone listed on the street with their phone numbers. It's free and most people are very friendly. Also, just contact businesses directly and ask if they are happy with the current service and that you would love to earn their business. Expect to be offered the contract.

5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

door to door will probably produce a higher success percentage
    than anything. it wll also be some of the hardest work,unless you
    are a born salesman.if you are that. you got no buisiness mowing
    yds ,cause you can make mega bucks.
    a tip is to work on the first 8 seconds and what you are going to say when the door opens.good luck,youll need it, but you will have fun too.later now TM

XOFMOT LawnSite Member

I would love to be able to go door to door, but the homes I target are placed so far apart from each other I would spend hours to hit maybe 50 homes...I can "FLYER" 200 homes in an hour. I'm sure that talking to someone would benifit all of us alot more than just seeing a flyer, but TIME is a factor. I also bet that 9 out of 10 homes that you would do the door to door thing would yield a no answer during the weekday hours that I work..they(customers) work to.
  7. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

I have done it on commercial property's ... I have a information sheet "about us" and a business card to leave for whoever is in charge..I then get the person's card (from the secretary) and call him/her in a day or two...it's worked for me.

8. Hmmmmm. 'nuff said. :p

Before you go door-to-door you might want to check the local bylaws. My town requires a permit from the police department. It's not illegal, just a fine to be paid if you don't have the permit. Only charities and non-profits are exempt from the permit requirement.
  9. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks for the replies...

Except for this one:

I'm not sure what this means but if you're implying that my work is not worth a referral... you're wrong. I do exceptional work compared to the majority around here. I think the customers want me all to themselves ;)

This is my third year back in business in Maryland. When I started down in Florida I had more than I could handle in my second year. It seems people talked and your work was noticed more in Florida...

I think it may be time to target a new area. I was trying to avoid an hour of travel..
  10. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

It's great living in the south. And it isn't the north definately. People still work by referals down here. If you mess up they tell twice as many people.