Has anyone tried Liquid Rake?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by TennisBum, Aug 6, 2010.

1. TennisBum

TennisBum LawnSite Member

Or some other brand of liquid thatch remover/digester. I really dread having customers ask me to power rake. So much material comes up and you have to remove it all. If a liquid de-thatcher actually works, it would be a welcome alternative. Any feedback?
    Thanks

2. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Thatch is a sign that the soil is not biologically active, I didn't say dead but not active. Probably very typical in your sandy soils along the coast

any bio stimulant should help, Kelp, Fish, our product line. What you really want to do is increase soil organic matter long term and you will not have many issues

There is a company in Va Beach called Nutrients plus that makes a nice composted chicken manure product (not much smell because it is composted) Barry Draycott who is on here often with Tech Terra Organics is a rep for them. It will add organic matter and get the microbes working breaking down the thatch and no more worries

3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Removing all that material, removes OM and nutrients. Fish, kelp, compost, molasses etc, is a much better alternative. Bill, has a point.

Meanwhile, use N sparingly, especially in the spring. Most all lawn care extensions agree that, excessive N creates thatch. Grass clippings, do not.

4. TennisBum

Thanks guys for your input. You know that the customer wants something done now. I was hoping to get some feedback on the liquid thatch. Anybody?
    Thanks.

5. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

What is in it and how does that compare to the things mentioned? Many of us do not buy the 'off the shelf' magic fixes, but work out a system of 'nutrient cycling'.

There is no quick fix or magic bullet, called 'liquid rake' or anything else, as far as I know.

6. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

7. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

A light dusting of compost will help breakdown that thatch. Make sure its good quality compost...preferably one with an analysis.

8. TennisBum

9. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Not a bad price for 2 acres if it actually works.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. grass catcher

grass catcher LawnSite Member

in ARK weuse liq rake in the late fall for thatch and leaves diesel fuel +match =liq rake