Has anyone tried the new Honda MicroCut 21" mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lonnie, Feb 23, 2005.

1. lonnie

lonnie LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering how much the improvements in the mulching area really faired in real life, not just on paper.

2. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I was really impressed with my HRX 217 that I got last year. The first time I used it I remember thinking to myself, "wow, it mulched that without leaving any clumps?" I've mulched with a LawnBoy GoldPro, older Toro, Craftsman, and Troy-Bilt and I could notice a little better mulching than those.

3. lonnie

Did you use the commercial toro? What kind of grass do you mow? Did it seem to bog down at all like the older honda?

4. lonnie

I cant believe with all of the honda users there are more guys trying this out.

5. LightningLawns

LightningLawns LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering, why do you guys even use 21's? Don't you think its a waste of time?

6. dwc

dwc LawnSite Senior Member

Lightning,
    it is some warped idea that many people in this part of the country have. The customer likes to see sweat I guess? Either that of the LCO is not willing to invest in a quality bigger machine.
    There are many companys here that ONLY use 21" mowers no matter what size the yard is. I think its nuts!

7. LightningLawns

I don't know if its just people from the north that use them? I rarely see them used around here. Personally I would never waste the money on one, i'd rather weed wack a small area than push mow it. Besides the grass is too thick in the summer here for a 21.

8. dwc

dwc LawnSite Senior Member

I see almost everyone on here that mows in the NorthEast doesn't hardly have 21" in their vocabulary. Here in OK we have mostly bermuda, and while a 21 does do a nice job on it, who wants to walk behind that thing all day long? The little wheel marks those leave are ugly I think. I started using my Sentar on any lawns I can the past couple years and I like the look better. It leaves the bermuda looking like a table top.
    I do have to use the 21" on some yards with small gates and I am looking into a 32" walk behind for these just to speed things up.

9. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

I couldnt use a 36" mower on some of my lots! I couldnt get to the lawn with one, and some it would have been to wide.

I havent tried the new Honda comm., my Rep. just retired and didnt get a demo to try. I think it will do just fine for most types of grass. I should have some in the shop in about 2 weeks. Ill try to remember to post my opinions!

10. LightningLawns

Wright makes a 32 stander, you might want to look into that instead of a walk behind, they are much more productive.