Has anyone tried the Piggback-Vac for your stand on?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AmazingLawns, Mar 6, 2012.

1. AmazingLawns

AmazingLawns LawnSite Member
    from US

I just bought the 36" Scag V-ride. I was originally looking at a rider, but decided on the stand on, because of the small yards and small gates of my customers. My only problem is that I won't be able to do leaf clean up. I found a link to the piggback-vac on a thread and followed it and it seems like it would work for what I need it for, although I don't know yet if it would work on my v-ride or not. There wasn't a lot of information on the website. (www.piggyback-vac.com) Does anyone have one and if so, how do you like it and does it work well? Also, anyone know the cost?

2. mlavin73

mlavin73 LawnSite Member

It looks interesting but I cannot see how the front end doesn't lift with all the weight on the back? That hopper is large and I imagine with a bunch of grass in there it would be quite heavy. I'm suprised there aren't caster wheels on the back to absorb some of the weight.

3. AmazingLawns

from US

Hmm. That's a good point. I hadn't considered that. :( I may just have to bite the bullet and buy a rider and the Cyclone Rake come fall unless some new options come out that would allow me to do leaf cleanup on the stand on. I was really hoping this would be it, but you're right- I'm not sure how this one would work.

4. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

I would just get an accelerator catcher with an extender. First use let the catcher fill up and run over the whole yard with it full. It acts like a mulching plate so you chop everything up without shooting leaves everywhere. Then go over everything a second time and suck everything up. It leaves a nice clean finish and cuts down on the amount of leaves you have to take away.

You don't need a z just for cleanups. I use only walkbehinds and I have never had any problems using that method. Even now that I have a leaf loader, I still do small yards this way.

5. crazymike

crazymike LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Looking at their webpage, it looks like a home made product. It's fairly simple and doesn't appear to have much engineering into it.

If their webpage is any indication of the amount of work that went in to engineering it, it's not worth the money.

Also, if you're just doing cleanups and want to by a cyclone rake, you can buy a $1000 craftsman rider to pull that thing along.

At my cottage, where there are TONS and TONS of leaves, like 150+ yards worth, I use a leaf vac on a trailer and a blowers. One person can blow into piles, another person runs the leaf trailer sucking up the piles and dumping them. This is even faster than one guy trying to suck up everything with a rider.

6. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

i see a real safety issue with it. what happens if you accidentally fall off?

7. AmazingLawns

from US

Thanks for the suggestions! I think I'm going to pass on the piggyback-vac for now and unless something new comes out that I can use, I'll probably either do the accelerator catcher or buy a cheap rider just for pulling the cyclone rake. I don't really want to pay for the cyclone rake, because it seems pretty pricey and shipping is ridiculous, so I might try the accelerator catcher with extender and if that doesn't do what I need it to, I'll cough up the cash for the cyclone rake and find me a cheap rider. I bet someone will come up with the perfect product for the standers eventually. With some tweaking, I think the piggyback-vac has promise.

8. crazymike

crazymike LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I got my Vac from TSC store. It was $1000 CDN. Similar setup as the cyclone but WAY cheaper.

So far, zero problems. (except when I bought it and brought it home, and was missing the wheels, manufacturer sent new ones right away)

It's made by brinley
    http://www.brinly.com/LVS_33BH.html

9. AmazingLawns

from US

Thanks for the info- going to check it out!

10. BradfordSil

BradfordSil LawnSite Member

I would just get an accelerator catcher with an extender.