1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone tried the predictor engine from harbor freight?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by rickpilgrim, May 2, 2013.

1. rickpilgrim

rickpilgrim LawnSite Senior Member

Today I went to HF and picked up the 173 cc vertical predictor engine for 1 of our toro sp21 mowers with a dead techumseh . It was pretty much a bolt on but I had to use a different pulley and blade adapter as the crank was 7/8" instead of 1". It started on the first pull and seems to run good but at $89 with 2 yr replacement warranty I'm wondering how long these things last if anyone knows?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Moose's Mowing

Moose's Mowing LawnSite Senior Member

i put one of their 6hp models on an old walk behind blower. it does the job and apparently got great reviews. I think they're a Honda clone. Haven't used mine enough to speak on durability but at 120 bucks with a 20% of coupon....can't really complain if it does blow up after a year or two

3. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Where do ypu get the blade adapters and pulleys? I have an old Snapper I was wanting to restore.

4. macgyver_GA

macgyver_GA LawnSite Senior Member

I've heard good things about them. I've thought about replacing the Briggs on my Tru-cut reel with one of those.

5. rickpilgrim

6. Moose's Mowing

Moose's Mowing LawnSite Senior Member

7. AustinLawnscape

AustinLawnscape LawnSite Member

I was able to use one of the Predator engines to re-power my Toro commercial 21 inch mower. It took a little effort to find the parts but they came right off the shelf from the snapper dealer. They are used on a Snapper with a 7/8 crankshaft. They had both the pulley that matched the diameter of my Toro pulley & the blade adapter in stock. I had the keyway modified by a local machine shop for $20 to make it work with the snapper parts which require a 5/32 keyway & the 3/16 predator keyway slot.

We'll see how long it lasts but at least it's working now. I had two trim mowers that weren't working so at least for now, I'm a happy camper.

8. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Any part#s to convert a Snapper 21?

9. rickpilgrim

Predator should be a bolt on for a snapper 21 with a 7/8 crank briggs. You may have to adapt the throttle and engine stop cables to work right but the 1/8"wire I bent in a hook shape and cable clamped to the engine stop cable has been working fine and universal throttle cables are cheap. Our Predator is running fine, the only complaint is the small gas tank.

10. AustinLawnscape

AustinLawnscape LawnSite Member

I checked the receipt but they didn't include part numbers. Here are the numbers I found doing my early research: Snapper 7/8" bore blade adapter 7012927, snapper pulley 7/8 bore, 1-7/8” OD-7021707 or 8547, bigger pulley 7/8" bore 2-1/8” OD-7021764 or 8193 & pulley same size as Toro: 7/8" bore, 2-1/4” OD-7022044 or 5950 . Hope that helps. - Ed