has anyone tried this

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lyndont, May 5, 2011.

1. lyndont

lyndont LawnSite Member

I live in the country and have a long rock driveway and have had to have more rock brought in 3 times in 4 years. Its like it just sinks in the dirt or washes away. My grandpa told me I need to find some used carpet and put it down before they poor the gravel and it would help. It kind of makes since but would be a real hassle if it didn't work. Has anyone on here tried that.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. UfoPilot

UfoPilot LawnSite Member

You're using the wrong kind of rock.

3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Our company here actually has something called "Road Base"... it shovels ok but when it packs its solid... then you can put anything you want over that...

4. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

either that or put down some geotex fabric to keep the stone from migrating down into the soil.

5. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Good answer. I agree. A gravel driveway should have a large size rock (golf ball to baseball size) as a base then crush and run on top.

6. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

This is done all the time for pavers and walls in clay soil...it's easy for a stone to sink, but when the whole thing is one mass.....not so much.

7. LandscaperPro

LandscaperPro Sponsor

Well the carpet idea will work untill the weather deteriates it. Add Lime. You can buy rock with lime mixed in already. Start with a #7a rock. The lime will pack and harden as it mixes with clay, mud, even water. Then spread your #2's on top. #2's are heavy enough they won't wash away in a hard rain.