Has anyone tried working down South during the winter months?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by soloscaperman, Oct 22, 2011.

1. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

To be honest I am thinking about moving down south and mowing or doing some sort of work even being drywall and Taping. I just can't stand the cold up here and my body has a hard time adjusting from being in the sun. I do love the fall cleanup season and snow plowing but its the in between that sucks and I get bored during the winter time.

In a way it will be like a vacation and time away from the crappy state of CT.

2. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

Nope i make too much money plowing snow to want to leave for the winter.

3. Springmeadows

Springmeadows LawnSite Senior Member

That is if you can find drywall work down South. There is hardly any work done here for those of us that are here in the South.

4. deerewashed

deerewashed LawnSite Senior Member

Mathematically it is not smart, but some of you dumb lawn boys dont know math!!!!! Lol Jk

drywall pay - (south house cost+north house cost) < plowin pay - north house cost.

my calculations show you will make less money drywallin, also you wont get to hang out with all of us when we go over plowsite!

5. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

I head down to CT and plow there

6. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

We all get part-time jobs for 3 months and you'd better move further south then Jacksonville,Fl. Drywall-South? We don't have any new houses being built here. I don't know.

7. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

Well I'm not there yet, this will be almost my 3rd year in my business. I only have about 15 plowing accounts and would be nice to go down south and work in nice weather. Also meet the nice country women. CT is full of spoiled lazy snotty girls.

8. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

We don't need anymore help down here, and we're stingy with our women. Seriously winter sucks here too but with no snow work. The grass will go till Nov. then pick up mid March. There's also not alot of leaf work. We shut down when there is talk of snow.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

There is work here for drywall. $80 a day for 10 hrs. You'd e better off working at Disney seasonal or one of the other parks. Setting up lights or another seasonal contracting job here pays closer to 15=20 an hour if you can get on with a contractor.

10. deerewashed

deerewashed LawnSite Senior Member

you could at least be a sub for another plow company.