Has anyone used a MAS Controller?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by tonyvol, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

No one is cobbling. This is step by baby step, with allowances made for unseen circumstances.

2. tonyvol

tonyvol LawnSite Member
    from Cumming

3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

No. You are not going to collect anything more than you already have, except in a different location with RPZA losses included. You need way more information than that to make anything even resembling an informed decision.

Again .... ROFL. This is coming from the guy who suggested attaching a pressure gauge to the RPZ and reducing flow until the zones reach their breaking point. Yup ..... that is for sure an intelligent and professional suggestion ...... "with allowances made for unseen circumstances". :hammerhead:

4. Wet_Boots

Yes, the RPZ is the backflow preventer, and the only kind that is rated for your application. The reason I mention new pressure readings after the RPZ is in place, is that the new 2-inch mainline will not have pressure losses at your current flow rates, compared to what you have today, so the measurements will accurately reflect pressures at each of the zone valves. You can then partially close the supply, to see how zones function with less pressure and flow, with the idea of seeing if you can work with 20 gpm or less in zones where you measured more flow.

5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

More of that grass is wet, electricity is free, water is an infinite resource, AE of 40% or less is acceptable mentality.

What's next? Are you going to suggest connecting one sprinkler at a time and "observe" it's performance before connecting another .... or perhaps replace with impacts that don't exist anymore?

Curious boots .... what is the size of the current mainline from the meter to the hose bibb?

6. Wet_Boots

By the way, despite the larger size of your new mainline, and maybe the supply plumbing to the RPZ, the size of the RPZ itself can still be one inch, without any cost in pressure. Backflow preventers are rated for very high flows, that you almost never actually have, like 50 gpm for a 1-inch RPZ.

7. tonyvol

tonyvol LawnSite Member
    from Cumming

Hey guys have I told you that I appreciate your help with?:clapping:

8. Wet_Boots

You're just lucky the pump and the elevations make it all somewhat intriguing :rolleyes:

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

You need to gather the information I have indicated you need. Not knowing how your system is supposed to function by design is a recipe for failure, not only with respect to your pump project, but with respect to the health of the landscape and your bank account. You need to determine (if you haven't already) your systems optimum operation point. That point is where the water is being applied and used in as an efficient as possible manner. Now you started by collecting your flow and dynamic pressures .... but 4 out of your 6 zones are operating at pressures that are less than optimum, particularly given where the pressure readings were taken. This is a red flag telling me your system in it's current state is not running as it should, and your flow readings are not to be trusted (i.e. they would be higher at optimum pressures). This is not the time to take short cuts or to play guessing games. Get the information and data you need to make an informed decision.

10. tonyvol

tonyvol LawnSite Member
    from Cumming

Will this gauge work with any brand rotor sprinkler head? I have K-Rain. Have you guys used this one before? I was wondering if it works good.

http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Hunter-Sprinkler-Rotor-Pressure-Gauge-p/rotor-pitot-gauge.htm

I want to use it to check the pressure at the highest sprinkler head in the system.