Has anyone used a weed whacker as a self defence wepon?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by elamey, Jun 27, 2005.

1. elamey

elamey LawnSite Member

Has anyone used a weed whacker as a self defence wepon?

I'm just wondering because I took out a nest of nasty wasps last week with my weed whacker. That got me to thinking about if someone was threatening me....a weed whacker could do some damage.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

2. ken0564

ken0564 LawnSite Member

used it on a 20 foot snake just last week. he came right at me, chased me all over....okay, so maybe it was only 4 foot, but it was still a snake and I don't like 'em. i know, i know...they're good for the environment. i agree as long as they're not in mine.

On a serious note...seems the crooks are now targeting lco equipment trlrs. Friend of a friend came around from backside of prop to find two guys at his trailer, one on the inside, one on the outside. he didn't use it on them, threatened them with it, put them in trlr and waited for police. took him a few minutes to make call, couldn't find his cell (yea..right), took police another 12 minutes to arrive. this happened in Charleston, 92 degrees, 80% humidity that day.

I guess when it does come down to it though, a wacker still wouldn't match up to a lead bullet. Guess that's more reason to carry insura.

3. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Almost got attacked by a dog when I still worked for another company, popped it in the leg with the weedeater. After that he left me alone!

4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I had a pit bull come up behind me one day, and this dog has been known to nip you on the back of the leg. I turned around and he got a face of.105 spinning about 3/4 throttle, needless to say he didnt bite me or come to close to me any more

5. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

He charged me, and luckily I saw him outta the corner of my eye.. He didn't like a face full of trimmer.. Be careful though.. I made contact with his mug for all of 3 seconds, and it looked like hamburger.. I imagine it'll do the same to a persons face as well..

6. ken0564

ken0564 LawnSite Member

lunch time!! :cool2:

7. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

I have not used one as a weapon, but I sure as heck would.

8. Yamahauler

Yamahauler LawnSite Member

"self defence wepon" :dizzy:

9. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

never have, but I will if I have to. .095 line does hurt to get hit with, it'll do a lot of damage on a person at 3/4 throttle. a brush blade will pretty much make any threat into ground beef.

10. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

Last year during the terrible invasion of the 17 year cicadas I became a Jedi Master with a weed whacker. Those suckers couldn't even get close. My masterful skill has since come in very handy against wasps and angry hornets. I wouldn't think twice about using it on a dog that was coming after me.