1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone used one of these

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1BadHawk, Mar 21, 2005.

1. 1BadHawk

1BadHawk LawnSite Member

Just wondering if anyones used one these and how effective is it? I realise obviously its no comparison to the $2k and $3k motor driven aerators, im just wondering if this type pulls plugs or if it just pokes holes.

2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I havn't tried one, but I wouldn't even waste my time or money on that unit.
  3. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

i've seen them around,a friend of mine has one believe it is a plugger.He had cinder blocks on it for weight.It seems effective for homeowner use...
  4. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

You know I have one of these and used it last year and will this for the few amount of aeration jobs I have. Got one at TSC for $149. Once I have more accounts I'll buy a much better one then, but I've more than paid for this for now without debting a large amount of capitol right off the bat.
  5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I may get a lot of slack for this one, but if you are started out and in a tight budget, so for it.

I remember that I used on of those with a dethatching setup when I first started out
  6. crzymow

crzymow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa

i actually built one of those, much heavier duty then that one, but works great onlarger lawns. need a small self propelled one for smaller lawns
  7. 1BadHawk

1BadHawk LawnSite Member

Yes, Im just starting out, and with all the purchases already ive prety much exhausted my budget. My plan was to rent one, but at 75 bucks a day, I could just buy something like this. Ive only got a couple lawns to aerate as it is, so I figure if it works, and gets me through this season, then next year I can look into a more commercial version.
  8. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have one simalar to that, it is hard to sell aeration it seems for me, they are fair units and pull a good plug long as the ground is fairly soft. You may be surprised how good it works, but I think if you are on a tight budget it will work fine to you decide if you need a commercial unit
  9. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

That will not pull enough plugs. To do a good job you will need to go over the lawn 4 times or more. I use one with twice the tines and double aerate and sometimes even triple aerate.

The one I have is $499 shipped. It is the lowest quality I would recommend. You can find it here http://www.wikco.com/Turfvent.html . This one pulls good plugs but is not built as strong as the more expensive units.
  10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I say go for it.