Has anyone used Stabilizer or Natracil to build crushed rock patios or walks?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Venturewest, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Venturewest

Venturewest LawnSite Senior Member

I am interested in building a compacted crusher fine, (crushed aggregate, breeze, 1/2" or 3/8" minus, crushed rock) patio and walkway at my personal residence.

Do any of you have any experience using Stabilizer or some other similar bonding agent with crushed rock? I don't want to track in a lot of rock and dust, and I don't want the patio to become muddy.

Would a "stabilized", or bonded crushed rock patio be practical in an application such as this? I have done quite a bit of online research but haven't come up with too much.

Thanks for your help!

2. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

We have used Elmer's glue with great success.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Birchwood

Birchwood LawnSite Member

try aero marine out of California. We did a couple of walks with bluestone chips and this epoxy, and worked great. We used grade 8 stone for the base and then mixed the bluestone chips with the epoxy in a wheel barrow and troweled it down like asphalt. It is hard like asphalt but porous and has held up for 3 years.

4. Venturewest

If you are, what are the proportions? I actually have wondered if latex or something would work, so I can see how Elmer's would work. Is it mixed in the aggregate or is it applied afterwards?

Thanks.

5. Venturewest

Thanks. Do you have any idea how much epoxy you used per unit of the bluestone chips? How deep did you apply the bluestone chips? I bet the effect is awesome, just trying to get an idea of the overall cost.

This would actually be really cool to do as a pattern in concrete.