Has anyone used the Lawnaire 28 by Ryan?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by walker-talker, Feb 20, 2002.

1. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

If so, what are your thoughts (pros & cons)? What does this unit sell for?

2. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

yes i've used them a few times.

they are sweeeetttttt!

Vertical coring action produces clean, professional results.

Cover up to 24,000 sq.ft/hr in 28-inch swaths.

Zero-turning radius while aerating and tricycle front wheel design provide unmatched maneuverability and productivity

they retail approx. $5k

i sell new, delivered $4450

3. We got one in 1997 an paid 3800 for it was double what the lawnaire IV cost. But it is a more productive machine than the IV.
    Like captain devo said it is a sweet machine.
    The 28 reduces operator fatigue a whole lot and one 28 is as productive as two LA IV 'S
    When you run the lawnaire IV all day it wares you out quick.
    You need a lot a jobs to justifly purchasing a 28.
    One con would be more moveing parts than the drum type aerators have
  4. Champlawn

Champlawn LawnSite Member

I have one LA 28, bought it used with a blown wis. robin engine.
    We repowered it with a Briggs 8hp I/C and its now on its third
    season. The machine rarely breaks down, and is easy to service.
    I use it for all my aeration except on steep slopes. I would guess
    my machine to have at least 2000 hrs. its a real work horse
  5. Strongmd

Strongmd LawnSite Member

I'm in the Northeast and I've never seen anyone using this aerator around here. I do a bit of aerating, and I own the drum-type Ryan. Why aren't there any around here? Is this type f aerator not appropriate around here? Anyone own the pluggr or the new Billy Goat aerators?
  6. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

most are sold to golf courses and rentals
  7. MWM

MWM LawnSite Member

I'm suprised at the replies to this post. My experience with the LA28 wasn't as favorable. It seemed that the constant pistoning beat the machine to death. We had significant downtime with the 28 that we had and ended up switching to the IV's and these have held up wonderfully. The 28 may have a higher ground speed but hitting rocks, roots and other unseen items buried in the turf did more more damage to the piston type machine than the drum/roller type. My vote goes to the IV for what it's worth.
  8. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

we use both the IV and the 28. our IV is 2 years old, and our 28 is around 15 years old.

I havent looked at any new 28 models, so im not aware of any changes that may have been made. the 28 is great on dry compacted soil, and will literally, core out a root in the ground. However, the tines have a tendency to snap, and if you do invest in a 28, i would buy back up tines the day you purchase the machine.

our 28 is much slower than the lawnaire IV, and is only used when deemed necessary. we charge more to aerate with the 28, than the IV.

are the 28 models still chain drive, or have they switched to belts now?