Has anyone used Valpak to advertise

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Wrobel#1, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Wrobel#1

Wrobel#1 LawnSite Member

I just put my name in the VAlpak has anyone ever used it before let me know
    thanks DAve
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

nope, can't say I have
  3. aries

aries LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I have your better off putting an ad in the paper for 2 months with the amount they want to run their mailer for 1 time.
  4. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

I just did the same as well. They were sposed to go out this month but there going out next month instead. I got 10,000 flyers printed and mailed out for $435, not too shaby. You may get a lower response rate with them because of all the othe rflyers they mail out with yours. I will soon find out. Main thing you want to do is give coupons if your putting your flyer in the Valpak.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

My old boss tried ValPak once or twice, but the return was never worth the investment. The vast majority of customers we got thru them lasted just one season, the next season they are once again scouring for fresh coupons.

One additional problem we ran into- we had a coupon for "10% off any mulch job". Our existing customers would see this coupon and want the same deal, my boss would only give it to new customers. So we lost some old customers this way. Actually, probably lost more than we gained.

I think if you're going to try ValPak, you should be prepared to honor the coupons for existing customers as well.
  6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I have read post of 1/2 dozen people on here that have used them....most seemed like they didn't have much luck with them. Personally, I have never used them.
  7. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

apples to apples, your dollars would be better served in a good ol' fashioned flyer campaign. even to throw your flyer away, a prospective lead would have to touch it. with valpak, all i have to touch is that light blue envelope as i throw it away.

definitely report back with your lead tracking. i don't recall seeing anyone running this type of marketing of late, sp any info to share is good info.
  8. Mueller Landscape Inc

Mueller Landscape Inc LawnSite Senior Member

I am using them for the 3rd year in a row with very good results.
  9. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm doing Valpac in 2 weeks , I'll let ya know how it turns out .
    It's costing me $400 to reach about 20,000 .

Something better that just started 2 years ago is a booklet of post cards like of 30 or so pages .
    Unlike the valpac , you don't have to open it up , just flip through it .
    It looks nicer and gets a better responce .
    I'm doing both this month .

Even better , but very expensive , is mailing my own post cards out .
    Last year I mailed 40,000 , cost , $4,800.00 plus cost of printing , only $780.00 and they are half pages , cut down the middle to make a long and narrow card on carnary yellow .
    Black ink.
    Sorry to tell y'all , but , you are wasting your money with glossy shiny cards .
    No body cares .
    Mine are cheaper and stand out better .
  10. thes

thes LawnSite Member

ValPak was the biggest waste of money for me...and my ad included a 10% off the entire first season of mowing. I have had much better results putting those tear off flyers on the foodstore corkboards....most of my customers are from there. Also, the small local paper works well.

I will NEVER do ValPak again! :nono: