Has anyone used?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by P & L Turf, Jan 10, 2006.

1. P & L Turf

P & L Turf LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone used any type of organic fert.? I got some info on some organic fert that I had seen in turf, and I was curious if their any good or how good they work. Also they offer an areating fert (either granular or liquid), how good is this? I had one areate job last year that was quite large, and the ground was so hard that it broke every tine on the machine. The machine was some new ryan ride on areator. Nice machine, lots of power, but I was wondering if I used something like that fert would be easier and cheaper. It'll get a little costly if I've got to keep replacing those dang tines.
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I personally have never found a cheap organic fert.
  3. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Try Milorginite as a substitute towards expensive, synthetic, salt based ferts.
    Earthworks, Ringer, Sustaine all have significantly less salts and acids than other forms of synthetic ureas and nitrates.
    Significantly less costly as well.
  4. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

The gap between synthetic and organic ferts price should be lessened this year after the price increases. I always tell people to take a look at www.nutrientsplus.com. There should be a distributor in your area. Some ferts do contain bio-solids, like milorganite, which means the fert isn't completely organic.
    I have used liquid aeration, which is a mix of a ton of chelated nutrients and food substrates for microbial activity (humate, fish, seaweed, tea, molasses, etc). I don't think it's cheaper than running an aerator, but if you're putting down organic ferts, the microbes are given food and the soil isn't depleted from the salts of the synthetics. You don't need to aerate every fall. A lot of people on here don't like that info, because aeration and overseeding is a big moneymaker...
  5. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I have fertilizer injectors on most of my homes www.fertileearth.com they work well to apply the bridge products I use. Bridge products have a base of humates, enzymes, and biostimulants then there is a small amount of synthetics. They do provide the aeration benefits but it takes several months to notice any change. For me its huge as everything is irrigated and I don't like to see my sprinkler water running down the street. These products open up the soil allowing the water to penetrate better. I know it can be done by spray applications because the products I use were invented by a local guy who started out as a spray tec and began developing his own formulas over 20 years ago. I have been using these products www.biofeed.us for 14 years now they continue to evolve. I have to say its a lot easier with the injectors. Also check green guardian I hear he has some bio products as well.
  6. P & L Turf

P & L Turf LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the feed back. I've got a few customers that might be interested in the organic stuff, so I thought I'd ask around about it first before I bought any. I don't mind running the areator, I was just curious about that fert that does it. It's hard to try and sell something like that to some of these people because they like to see the plugs pulled out so that way they think something is being done.
  7. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

I have never seen any university research that says a snake oil (liquid aerator) will improve soil aeration. The humates and biostimulants probably create a more favorable environment for earthworms which will improve aeration.
  8. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Snake Oil? So you don't know of any university research so it means it doesn't work? Microbial activity is essential for healthy soil. Without microbes, you have a soil that needs the N boost every 6-8 weeks because nothing is alive in the soil to sustain growth. The microbes are gone from the high salt content fert (like salt on a slug...owner of the co uses that all the time), therefore the ground is dry and stagnant...Better get out the old Ryan and go to work...No s**t the "snake oil" creates more favorable conditions as biology is returned to the soil creating a favorable environment that was gone...
  9. haymaker

haymaker LawnSite Member

Has anybody used Turf2Max, a liquid aeration product. I charge $10/1000 to apply it, about half what mechanical aeration costs. It penetrates 6to8" as oppossed to 1 to 3", does not stress an opperator and can be mixed with my Green Guardian W&F liquids. Customer does'nt see that anything has been done unless you use atesting device to measure compactness or soil density. If the stuff does what they say it will(university tests have been done) I wil never use a mechanical; aereator again.