has anyone worked for trugreen?

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by lyndont, Feb 10, 2011.

1. rhyan6

rhyan6 LawnSite Member

Its all about if your happy well put. And im not happy looking at what they do in my area. Im sure there are good techs out there for theses companies i just haven't seen them. These guys usually don't even know whats in the tank. Or how to mix, how much they are applying per sqft. just my 2 cents good luck to you hope your happy there.

2. Barefoot James

Barefoot James LawnSite Senior Member

Love it - hissssssssssssssssssssssssssssss:cool2:

3. JMEllis

JMEllis LawnSite Member

You are still wrong. Either they pay overtime or they don't. And Scotts does. I see it on my check every two weeks. I get paid extra for working more than 40 hours per week. It is that simple! And when I added up my hourly wage for anything that I worked over 40 hours last year, it was considerably more than what my standard hourly wage was. It is that way for almost every employee at Scotts.

Your post is ignorant and continues to be so even after being corrected. And that comes from a guy who is very unhappy with my company.

4. Hissing Cobra

Hissing Cobra LawnSite Senior Member

Say what you will but overtime is supposed to be TIME AND A HALF and they DO NOT PAY THAT RATE. They disguise it in the form of bonus pay. I think you should go back and figure that out. Both Tru-Green and Scotts follow this pay philosophy and I'm not the only one on this board that can corroborate that.

Don't take my vandetta against Scotts too personally, it was NOT directed at you or any of the good employees that they have working there. It's directed at their poorly constructed business model. If their business model was good, their turnover rate wouldn't be in the stratosphere.

I hope you pass the test on becoming Certified in Turf Grass management. It shows that you're committed to being a true professional. I myself and Certified in Trees & Shrubs, courtesy of Scotts. I could have become certified in Lawns as well but I chose to move on. I actually have more experience with lawns than I do trees but I'm well rounded in both. I now have a Dealer's License as well. You can never have too many certifications, so keep on learning as much as you can.

5. JMEllis

JMEllis LawnSite Member

Overtime is supposed to be exactly what the law says it is and this is what the law says. "Disguising" overtime pay in bonus pay that when all is said and done pays the same as if not more than time and a half is just a terrible pay scale.

I know you aren't attacking me personally. But the facts are the facts.

6. sprayboy

sprayboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

When I worked there you was paid overtime but it went on a downsliding scale......it was called chinese overtime.

For an easy numbers example...........

If you had a $400/wk salary your hourly rate was $10/hr. So if you worked little or no production you was guarnteed you $400.

If you worked 50 hours this week and did not meet your weekly goal, not earning any bonus, then your hourly rate dropped to $8/hr ($400 salary divided by 50 hours) and you overtime was based on that rate.

The more hours you worked the less the rate was, discouraging you to work extra hours. In other words don't goof off and get your job done.

Commisions were separate from that.

Not starting an argument but that is the way it was when I worked there in the mid 90's

7. JMEllis

JMEllis LawnSite Member

That's how it works. But now they are paying out 10X the amount we used to get per sale. The pay is fair.

By the way, I did not come here to argue with anyone or stick up for Scotts. I just wanted to learn more about landscaping and stumbled across this thread.

8. Hissing Cobra

Hissing Cobra LawnSite Senior Member

Why didn't you mention this in your first post? It's quite obvious that it's now a totally different pay scenario since I left them back in 2005. Also, what happens if you're in a saturated route where you have 90% of the customers in your area and you can't really make a new sale, I guess that bonus money isn't coming in your paycheck and your overtime pay wouldn't be anywhere near what it should be? Believe it or not, we had saturated routes like this on Cape Cod and new sales were hard to come by. The only thing we could really sell those customers were add-on services. It was definitely not the norm compared to other parts of the country, yet they tried to run our locations like the rest of them.

9. rhyan6

rhyan6 LawnSite Member

I love my boss. (me)

10. sprayboy

sprayboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

They was trying to screw me on the other side.
    I had to drive a minumum 45 minutes, sometimes well over an hour, to get to my first lawn and my daily goal was about the same as the guy 5 minutes out the door. I usually stopped by home a couple hours a day and cut grass or screwed off for a while before going back in, racking up hours but really not working. I figured if they wouldn't compensate for my drive time by lowering my goal then I would.
    It may sound like I was a dishonest employee but it was not fair for me to have close to 3 hours drive time some days and still have to work the same production time as others 5 minutes away.