1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Has anything changed?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Strings, Dec 6, 2002.

1. Strings

Strings LawnSite Member

I worked as a mechanic in the landscape buisness for about 15 years.I worked with some of the bug guys like Brickman and Ruppert which is now True Green/Land care if it has not been sold again and a company called K.T in northern Va.I now work for an industrial equipment company repairing manufacturing equipment.The one thing i always had a problem with was the fact that no matter how much i preached jobsite maintenence of equipment(checking oil,mixing gas ect ect) my workday always seemed to include a locked up weedeater or gear box in the days before hydrostatic drive or some other poor maintenence isue.The foreman received in the shop training on these things but never seemed to get it.The other thing was getting called out on the carpet by management about repair cost and at the same time listening to field crew managers scream about production,a no win situation to be sure.These things contributed to me leaving the buisness about 5 yeras ago.The management always wanted me to be accountable for my own actions(no problem) and also for the actions of others(big problem) The fact is most people using other peoples property dont care for it as they should.I used to see crewmen who had just blown an engine from a lack of oil carefuly check the oil in thir car before leaving work,irritated is not a strong enough word to express how i felt about having to work late to fix his screw up only to have him do it again the next day.Management was never any help with these problems,have they learned anything?has anything changed in these 5 years.
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I used to work with heavy equipment (Cat 980Cs, Euclids and Cat DJBs mostly) and I once saw a guy burn up a $20,000 rebuild job on a Cat motor. They opened the drain plug to look at the oil and you guessed it, it was dry. 15 hours and it was junk.
  3. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

I work full time as a mechanic for a public service dept. in the town where I live. I have seen just about everything done to the equipment that you can think of. Have seen some pretty good equipment junked out. I know that the operator would not even think of treating his own stuff that way. Some times I wish I had the power to fire. No nothing has changed. Just new breakdowns.