1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Has comments on a Quick 36 or 44 mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ksstate2, Dec 9, 2007.

1. ksstate2

ksstate2 LawnSite Member
    from kansas

I am in the market for a new mower and I have looked at the Better Outdoor Equipment's Quick 36 and 44 mowers. I was wondering if anyone could give me any comments about the mower and whether it was a wise purchase or not. I realize that you can only purchase one directly from the Company and there are no dealers to "get your hands on one before you buy". Before I order one, could anyone help persuade or disuade me? Thanks in advance.

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

I would tell you its a very wise purchase. You can call them and see if someone in your area has one that you can see....
  3. greg1

greg1 LawnSite Member

Have the 36" sami for most of this year. I searched the past posts before

purchasing and put my trust in those who own and have experience with

them. I can say my experience with BOP mowers is possitive and that i made

the right choice for me. They are built like a brick craphouse yet compact

and light, anyone smarter than a fifthgrader can work on them. :usflag:
  4. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a used one last winter and it has been my primary mower this entire year for me in my first year, so I know the ins and outs of it very well. I have a 36" Super Duty w/16HP ELS Briggs

Cheap to buy and to fix
    Great engine. NOTHING stops it. It barely changes its tune when pulling my 220 lbs body up a hill.
    It's lighter than most other mowers the same size
    It's a hydro. Not a dual hydro but it works great in tight spaces. Probably a lot better than any belt drive.
    Common parts
    Easy to use
    3 blades which make an awesome cut. I like the cut better than my 52" scag.
    It will stripe good even w/o the kit.
    Electric start!!
    Hardly ever breaks a part. I think I had one belt break, but that is because my idiot buddy tried mowing 12" grass all at once. There is no stopping that Engine :weightlifter:

Battery is too weak to start in sub 40 degree weather
    It is SLOWWWW. Not a real big deal since you should be using this for tight areas where a larger mower wont fit.
    The worst thing IMO is the height adjustment SUCKS. You have to bend down w/a 3/4" deep socket and adjust it so the height adjusters are lined up. And then hold the platforms together while you tighten it up. Doesn't sound like too big a deal but wait till you have to do it 4 times a day inside of a hot trailer with no room to work and you are 6'5 like me; it sucks.
    And if you dont make it tight enough it will slide down and cut shorter. They need some sort of positive lock instead of a friction hold.

Bottom line: Dont let the weeknesses scare you away. It lasted me thru my first season with zero breakdowns and did 95% of my mowing. And when you consider how much money you save buying it, it's a great investment for a first year guy IMO. I got mine on ebay used for $1000 w/200 hrs.
  5. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Generally speaking, you'll find positive comments outweigh the negative comments on this brand by about 9 - 1 ... in other words, it's a good mower, buy it !!
  6. LawnNeedz

LawnNeedz LawnSite Senior Member

I have the samurai also and it is a great mower. It is built like a tank and if anything were to break it looks like it would be cake to work on. I will definitely buy another one in the future.