1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Has EDDM or direct mail ever not worked for you?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by PLLandscape, Feb 9, 2014.

1. PLLandscape

PLLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Only asking because my budget for advertising is slim this year. I want to do an EDDM campaign (5000-10000) and want to know if anyone has done a similar campaign with zero results. To spend $1400+ with not return would be bad. I've got my website with the SEO being dialed in and will obviously be pushing Craigslist only because it's free. I would love the site to generate the majority of incoming clients but know that I need to make efforts in other marketing forms. I did a local paper and it was a zero return so I don't think I want to do that route again. I had a lot of luck with a local paper about 8 years ago but moved 2 years ago and it's like starting all over again.

Thanks for any input!
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic

last year i can say we got virtually zero results.
  3. PLLandscape

How many did you send?

Any idea why it didn't work? Wrong neighborhoods? Bad mailer design? Bad timing? Anything?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. Utah Lawn Care

Utah Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Last year I spent $1500 bucks and got 2 weekly clients and a 1 time weed spray. I can't see myself ever doing it again.
  5. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Cost per customer acquisition has steadily increased over the years.
    As the economy changed the target customer base has gotten smaller and the completion has gotten larger.
    Potential customers are bombarded with advertisements.
    Continuing to do the same thing as everyone else will continue to get the same results as everyone else.
    It can take thousands of pieces or impressions before a customer chooses you.
    That can mean thousands of dollars spent to gain accounts.
    You can not count it as if you got 10 accounts for $1500 dollars.
    You have to count it that you sold $4000 dollars of annual revenue for $1500 dollars.
    Then you need to perform stellar service to retain those accounts.
    If you want to spend $1000 dollars and gain 100 accounts you need a time machine to go back 10 years.
  6. goinggreen123

goinggreen123 LawnSite Member

Last season I did about a 1500 direct mail campaign a d got good results from it I picked up 3 weekly service customers which needed initial clean ups and got two one time clean ups out of it and a couple small landscape installs, and one irrigation and spray service I made my money back and a nice profit but nobody in my area is doing this or even really advertises. Good luck. If I had any advice for you is I would scout the neighborhoods that need it the most but I would also do upper high class houses are.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Use yourself as a test. How much of the cards and flyers that come in your mail go straight in the trash? If its a service the customer isn't looking for at that time chances are very high its trashed. The places people look for service providers is falling to the internet more every day. Yellow pages, newspaper and snail mail are going the way of the dinosaur. The closest we get is using door hangers with business cards and coupons in a perimeter around existing customers. Cost effective. The customers can see your work firsthand. Helps build tight routes and increase community presence.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. PLLandscape

Those were my thoughts too. Hit up the neighborhoods you're already in with either the EDDM or door hanger. I throw everything like that in the garbage. Why? Because I do most everything myself. I get your point but though. If I were to need something I'm looking it up on the Internet. That's why I said I'm having my SEO worked on for my site so it ranks well and trying Craigslist eventhough I know what that can potentially bring.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

Most people have better results with flyers / door hangers than using EDDM
  10. JContracting

JContracting LawnSite Bronze Member

I only mailed out 3200 in total of the 7500 I had (still have the remainder and will be using them this spring), things got extremely busy from a few larger word of mouth projects after that. Directly from EDDM I had a couple leads for fert/weed control which amounted to no sales, my guess was we were priced too high. We did land a walkway to circular patio w/ a freestanding wall & columns though. The profit didn't set the world on fire from it but it was only about 2 miles away and the clients were very happy & will provide a testimonial and the project looked great for my website.