1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

has something like this ever happened to you?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by captken, May 20, 2003.

1. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

here we are...its humid in memphis, sun out after all the monsoon, me and my partner have been mowin fast and hard all day, struggling to get caught up, me on my hustler walkbehind my partner on the hustler z. we are on the last job of the day, a high end residential property, 3 acres, i'm on hustler z, talking my partner into, who has never used a walkbehind, learning to use my hustler walkbehind. he dosn't show much heart, and is a little nervous at first, for about 10 minutes, then he starts getting into it, he is grining from ear to ear.
    it's a good day. we finish up mowin and start to weed eat. the
    kid that lives there plays with his tonka truck... has in the past dumped pea gravel from his sand box into piles on patio. patio is next to pool. pea gravel appears to all picked up. however....there was some left under the monkey grass....parner is weedeating, patio area, sends a few here and there flying....into the pool....what to do? he came and told me i looked in the pool, gravel is everywhere...what to do? i didn't get mad, i just shook my head, it was hot, the last job of the day, we are both a little tired, we had had a good time up to this point, my partner a good worker and friend.... there way the issue of how to get the gravel out without calling the pool cleaner. i thought....the customer always said if i ever wanted to.... i could go swimming in the pool.....we were in shorts already....we just looked at each other and just dived in, and started feeling for pea gravel with hands and feet, diving down, having fun, so what?
    cutomer arrives home, sees us picking up gravel, comments on the great looking lawn and is happy then tells me, "you don't have to clean the pool to take a swim, thats what its there for, you know that. I'm puzzeled, and I tell him about the weedeating, and he cracks up, tells us he is trying to break his son from dumping pea gravel on the patio where soomer or later he ends up throwing it into the pool! says the automatic roving cleaner picks up gravel, he just empties the bag....
    about that time, his wife shows up with cokes and dry towels....we all finished up our day lounging around the pool, talking and having a good laugh.
    i thought to myself,
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

sounds like some good friendly customers
  3. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

Sounds like you had a better day than I had. Nice customer, brought out drinks for me and my crew, but went back and forth with what she wanted to do, back and forth, back and forth, probably a dozen times. Finally she decides on one thing, we start that, I take off for lunch, woman leaves me a voice mail saying she has changed her mind again, and to undo what we started doing when she left. :dizzy:
  4. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Damn, that's cool. If only every customer were that cool!
  5. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

...well, sort of....

...but no swimming pool.

It involved a nice shower, a backrub, a couple of glasses of a good Chardonay, and.......well I won't bore you guys with the rest of the details.
  6. UGA

UGA LawnSite Senior Member

Men, if they were all like that everyone would want to do this; instead of every other guy with a mower and a weedeater.
  7. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Nothing better than a Wealthy "down to earth" Client....enjoy.
  8. Swampbeast

Swampbeast LawnSite Senior Member

Something SORTA like that happened to me, I messed up while mowing a yard, ripped about 12 feet of chain link fence right off of the posts. I was busy fixing it when the customer got home, saw what I was doing, laughed, and said he was going to tear it down anyway! I had just saved him about 20 minutes of work. He offered me a glass of iced tea, so I went inside with him, and met his daughter, and guess what? The daughter and I are still dating to this day, and plan on getting married in the spring of 2004!!!!
    Yeah, some customers can be pretty cool!

9. musselman

musselman LawnSite Senior Member
    from utah

The only clients I have with pools are motels...wonder what they would do if I ...uum threw a little gravel in the pool and had to go get it...lol. Great way to end a day..
  10. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

That is a sweet customer indeed! I would change them on your route setup to the last home mowed on Friday. Swimming pools are fun but are a maintenance nightmare. To answer you question no I have never had a day that nice.