Has this ever happend to you

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Frue, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

It rained 18 out of 31 days in may. I was making mud marks everywhere. Now here is the kicker it did not rain this week but was breezy and it hit in the 80's. So I go to cut my friday schedule and I dont believe it drought stress in the lawns I kid you not. All that rain gone in 5 days of wind!!!! This has to be the weirdess years I have ever seen. So much rain we cannot work now the lawns have heat stress in them!!!!!!!!

Now its Sunday and another day of wind. Has this ever happend to any of you? Just 1 week ago I was making mud marks!

2. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

i know what you are talking about this has been a very wierd year

3. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

Just weird that in one week it could dry that quick.

4. HBLandscaping

HBLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

You guys aren't the only ones. I went from unable to keep up with the think green grass to having some yard look like its Aug What they hell happend? LOL

5. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

We are in a drought as far as Im concerned. We need rain bad.

6. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

The weather is never predictable anymore. In VA it has been sme cooler, but the grass is not as thick to cut. Hardly any build up under decks.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Same here, we had two of those fast and furious thunder storms... Lots of wind and hoopla and it gets real dark then a ton of water drops but it's over so fast I'm guessing we got 1/4 inch of rainfall in the past 3-4 weeks.

8. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

80's and a week without rain doesn't reallly indicate heat or drought stress. I think what you're seeing is due to roots dying off from oversaturation of the soil and poor airflow to them.

9. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah I noticed this too last week, on a few of my lawns. I also see it every summer on irrigated lawns, when the customer turns the system off for a week (being on vacation or whatever) and the lawn will suddenly dry out in a few days time.

There was some article I read (maybe on LS) saying that when a lawn is overwatered either from excessive rain or too much irrigation, the roots don't grow as deep into the soil because there is plenty of water right up by the surface. Then when the water supply is cut off, the top few inches of soil dry out and the lawn suddenly dries out.

Maybe one of the turf experts like Marc Smith could shed some light on this?

10. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Really? I have noticed some have slowed down just a hair but they for the most part are still growing pretty fast here where we are. If we get rain wednesday and thursday they should maintain the heavy growth for a while longer.