Has this ever happened to you?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chipk1, Oct 3, 2003.

1. chipk1

chipk1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Been mowing for a lady about a year. I always bill in the middle of the mowing month and payment due by the end of the month. Well, went to drop her bill for the month after mowing the first 2 weeks and low and behold she's gone! House is empty. Got stiffed! The first time that has happened to me.

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Bummer....
    Sooner or later every one gets stiffed in one way or another,just part of business. On a more positive note she may have just forgotten about it....Moving is a hassle!(but I doubt it)

Good luck.

3. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

did she die?? or was sick and couldn't take care of the house maybe.

4. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

I had a older man die on me with about $3000 in landscapeing bills. it's been 1.5 years and the bill is still in courts with the estate. I will properly never see this money

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I had an old guy do that to me. I tracked him down and got my money.

6. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Please, no one take this the wrong way, I mean it as a sincere question, not any type of slam.

Many members here have posted previously that they only except 'open acct' status on mowing jobs, and even advise others to collect up front for any and all other type work.
    Question is, Do y'all really do this, or are terms of some sort really the way you handle most other than mowing clients.