Has this ever happened to you?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cincymower, Jul 17, 2004.

1. cincymower

cincymower LawnSite Member

Was out mowing yesterday, there was a moving van across from one of my accounts. The guy moving in comes over and asks how much to mow his yard one time, as he doesn't have time right now. I had the time so I looked it over and quoted him $35. He instantly says "I'll give you $50, you're doing me a big favor". I said "works for me". And with that he pulls $50 out of his pocket and pays me, before I even mowed.

I've had lots of people say "how about $30?", but this was the first time someone has ever offered more. The world needs more people like this guy!

2. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

yup, happened last week. quoted $55 and the guy said $75 should do it.

3. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

To be completely honest I have had that happen to me about 10 times in the past couple of years, just lucky I guess.

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

yup, it happened to me too. that's ok, it will make up for the next time you have to practically beat a $50 out of a deadbeat. it all evens out.

5. snippy

snippy LawnSite Member

Yep its happened to me and I've done it to others too when I can quite clearly see they've undercharged me.

6. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

Has happened to me also. It dosent happen nearly enough though.:D

7. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

If people know your rep for good work, they offer a little more so you take extra care when doing work.

I have only had that happen I think once. I have had a lot of tips.

Right before my dad's jobs moved us from MA to MD. I had a couple who asked me to cut the lawn since the their guy hadn't showed up in two weeks. They pay me $40 for a $30 lawn since they said it was tall. Well I head over there an hour later, the guy's there mowing. So I go to return the money. The guy just said to keep it. Just showing up was worth the money. Shame I had to move. He seemed like he would be a good customer. He said if I wasn't moving that he wanted me to cut it from then on. That was nice of him.

8. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

happened 3 times this past year. btw its my first year! i told someone 20, he gave me 50. told someone else 16, he gave me 35, someone else i told em 25 they gave me 40. works out nice. plus after i did that first cut, they called me back to cut every week!

9. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

I love those people. I also love the people who say "I really have to cool it for a while because money is tight." Then before I leave they say to me "When you get a chance can you do ........ for me?" Hey it works for me.

10. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Maybe 2 years ago I pulled up to one of my lawns, decided not to cut it because it was burnt to a crisp. As I'm driving away, I see this guy in my mirror chasing me up the street. So I stop, and of course he wants his yard cut. And I'm like, not today buddy, its 102 or 103 degrees out with some wicked humidity.

So he says "What would you charge to compensate for the heat?"
    I said, normally $30, and I don't know, I don't have a heat surcharge. So he offers $50, and I'm still not interested, all I could think about was going home and getting in some AC.

Then he says "Look, I'm really desperate. Were having a huge party tonight, my wife told me to cut the grass, and I can't get my mower started." Then he opens his wallet "Look, I got $91 in my wallet, will you do it for that?" Let me tell you, I grabbed that money and hit the turf before he knew what was happening. Took me about 25 to mow, trim and edge.

I've never seen someone look so happy after paying triple for something in all my life...