has this ever happened

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jasonp, May 14, 2001.

1. jasonp

jasonp LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

:angry: Another guy in town here used to have the contract on a job, but I knew he had given it up, so I went and talk to him about it before i bided on it. He said "oh its a head ache doing contracts with the city" and blah,blah,blah and so on telling me why he wouldnt bid on it no more. So I guess you got the rest figured out, and yes he did get the bid. But I guess that the way business goes. But it just seems like if he was going to bid on it he could have said yes im going to bid on it when I ask him. But I guess then he wouldnt have been able to tell me what he used to cut it for per cutting, which I bidded, only because he told me he was not bidding on it any more. So I guess he threw me the hook,line and sinker.

2. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

If I talk down a job to you (one that I truly want, unbeknownst to you) you will either overbid it, or not bid at all, so either way I have increased my odds by not having you to compete against.

3. Lawn DOG

Lawn DOG LawnSite Senior Member

This guy is your competition and a contract he had was up for bid. If I follow what you are saying. I am surprised that you would try to get that kind of info from him. Was he a friend? Didn't sound like it. You might want to try to bid it to the best of your ability. He already did his homework. No reason for him to let you have it. I was kind of surprised to read this but we have all tried to find out the scoop on something we are bidding on. I just don't recall trying to get it from the competition.:dizzy:

4. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Ya never know til ya ask..................and then you still won't know.

Work around the competition to find out what things went for. My dealer is a good source at times. Indirect questions are better to gather info than direct.

5. The_Outlaw

The_Outlaw LawnSite Member

I had something like this happen a couple of years ago, but I ended up with the contract. I lived in a large complex of duplex units, the guy doing the mowing was doing a terrible job. Sometimes he wouldn't mow it for almost a month at a time. I saw him mowing one day, and went up to ask him why he hadn't mowed. (at that point I was mowing my own yard because it was so bad) He was extremely burned out, started complaining about the management, and without me asking, told me exactly how much he was getting paid to do it. Even after I told him that I owned a mowing service. When I went back into the house, there was a message on my answering machine from the management, asking me to give them a bid. I didn't feel right about under bidding the guy, so I highballed it and still got the job. After mowing for these people for about 3 months, they sold the place.
    They told me to write up a new contract, give myself a raise, and they'd try to get the new owners to honor the contract. It worked!
    And now, I have even more business with the new owners (picked up 2 more apartment complexes this year from them)

Doug

6. jasonp

jasonp LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

The only part that got to me was I first asked him if he was going to bid on it and he said, no he has to much work as it is and then down talked it to the ground. Now if he would have said yes im biding on it I would have said yes it looks like a big job good luck on the bid.
    Also he had the contract a couple years ago so it wouldnt like he had the contract last year.

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Its kinda like being out and talking with my local competition. I don't tell them about lawnsite (sorry chuck), but I don't want everyone having the info. If they find it great. That means we are on the same thought process. We just don't need all the bozos pulling garden tractors around to find out all our info.

8. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Personally, that's just one more reason to forget about the competition and/or jawjacking with other lco's. Just do your own thing and bid your own bids. I know I'm new to this business and some of you say it's good to make friends with others in this business, but I honestly don't have one minute in a day to spend talking to anyone, ecspecially the other guys. I like to work hard and make money. I'll save my socializing for my wife and close friends. There are enough back stabbing, full of sh#@ people out there I don't care to meet. Take care of your customers and they will take care of you. Those are the people in my equation at this time, and that's enough!

9. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

randy scott, well said but i am friends with about 4 contractors from my city, if i'm to busy to take on a new lawn i'll refer it to one of them and they do the same to me. and these same guys don't try and bid on my accounts and i don't bid on theirs, its a good idea to make friends with some of the guys out their, it will only benifit you to have allies.

10. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Joshua,if you have too much work why don't you hire some more help instead of giving it away. I'm sure in time I will make friends with others, maybe not. Like I said, I'm too busy to stop and talk to anyone besides paying customers, even them it's hard to break away. Believe me joshua, when you get a little older and have more encounters with what our society produces, you might be less likely to feel the way you do. That's just my feelings and I can respect yours also. Time will tell for both of us.