1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Has this guy worked for you? The one who always starts blowers too soon!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Albemarle Lawn, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

OK so you're on a job, many jobs, big or small, doesn't matter.

He always has a rotten sense of when to fire up the blowers. Usually he goes straight for blowing walkways before nearby objects or the walkway itself has been trimmed or edged.:nono:

Sometimes, he fires up the blower before any trimming at all.

And lots of times, he'll grab the hand blower to clean a half acre parking lot on a windy day, walking right past the backpack blower to get to the hand blower.

Hired a guy really bad about this mid summer. Pretty much have broken him of it, but he still relapses from time to time and gives me a really helpless oh my God feeling every time.:cry:

Any others have "this guy?"
  2. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Damn...lol I mean...I know we all bust our butts....but this aint brain surgery!!!
  3. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

yeah that is so frustrating
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I think in every business you get a few from time to time who just don't get it. It is unfortunate but it happens, in some cases you can train them until they get it but in other cases you have to let them go, I think you're ok here, if by a fine margin.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I had him...sorry you got him now :laugh: :laugh:

Dang the blower SHOULD be, I think we all agree, rather easy to master...the guy last summer, he'd fire it up and basically run around like an ape on drugs and he'd be waving the tube all around...not trying to aim the airstream just waving it around like a magic wand...

A lot of this just boils down to PAYING ATTENTION the employee should be alert enough to recognize if you're not done with an area yet and not to blow...
  6. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

What keeps him around is the fact that he is never late, no BS days off, and doesn't complain.
  7. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

I had that "Joe Blow" this summer also. All he wanted to do was edge the lawn and blow. The mower man would n't even be finished mowing that side of the lawn and he would start blowing. The crazy part about it was I had to tell him everyday to wait until it was time to blow. But what really got me was that when he did blow he would make double work for hisself. He would blow off the sidewalk and the yard then blow the clipping from the street back into the lawn.

Im glad Im not the only one with "Joe Blow"
  8. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

Work with this type ALL THE TIME, "I love to work harder not smarter":angry: :angry: :hammerhead: :confused: :dizzy:. But this is not in the green industry, warehousing and shipping, as the boss though I have to keep it at a min. Same with your own company try to work it out of them but many times its imposible just have to cut`em loose, no hope.
  9. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

HAHAHA An ape on drugs!!!!!!! Now thats too funny!:clapping:
  10. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

not causing any drama but you shouldnt have someone standing around about to blow when the area hasnt even been trimmed yet sounds a little in effecient

what i do is make sure who ever is trimming does every section thats by concrete first in the front so if someones done early they can start blowing every single time