1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

has this happend to you?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gunner27, May 30, 2004.

1. gunner27

gunner27 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

I roll up to one of my new accounts on friday that i just picked up. I notice another lco parked down the street, but pay no attention to them. Once I am done mowing, I go to put the walk-behind back in the trailer when I notice 3 guys standing by my truck. They look pissed! I say hows it goin? Turns out they just got canned from the account I picked up and accuse me of stealing/underbidding the account! I was referred to this account from another customer of mine because those guys either were late, or did a half a$$ job! I tell them the customer called me! Dude is still pissed and yelling. So I tell him look, If you got a problem, call the homeowner, I have more work to do. So i start up the weedeater and walk away. I am sure I will see them again, what would you do?
  2. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

let the yell and tell them you have business to do and dont have time to bicker around with pittly stuff like that. and let them continue to yell and walk away, and dont say anything bad/insulting to them.
  3. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Not exactly that, but I have 1 guy that I took a lawn from. Not actively, she called me because he was doing a crappy job. Every time I see him he launches into an avalanche of profanity about her and why he's glad she is gone. Even 7 years now since I took that lawn, and he's still mad and swearing about it. It's obvious to me why I got it from him, tool.

If I were you, I'd tell the guy to stay away from your truck and you, and worry about doing a better job. If he was doing his thing he wouldn't be losing accounts to others.
  4. RBP

RBP LawnSite Member
    from mi

Haven't had it happen yet but iv'e wondered what i would do in that situation.Figure i would tell the guy same as you did that they called me,and then add that it is a competitive business and you win some and you lose some.Then if he was still mad i would challenge him to a string trimmer dual to the death .A friend of mine actually had aguy want to fight him over an account he said my friend stole from him.Makes you wonder sometimes when your giving a bid on a new property.i f some other lco is going to accuse you of stealing the job from them when the people called you and you didnt try to steal or low ball hi account away your just doing your job.Sound kind of unprofessional that the guy would come over all ticked off and yell at you.And also if he felt the need to come over and say something about it why didnt he walk over byhimself like a man instead of bringing his two buddies to hold his hand?Don't worry about it man if you see them again just smile and wave.
  5. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

the words "turn the safety off on the .40" come to mind... watch your stuff or your new customers property. be aware of any new dying spots in the yard. sounds like trouble.
  6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

gunner--you have opened a can of worms for some people.

not for me but a couple years ago I had an aquaintance/friend that lowballed everyone.

my aquaintance/friend stole so much work that some guys found him out somewhere and pushed that cat all over a parking lot.

they didn't stomp him but told him the stomping was coming up fast the next time he stole another job.

Ida loved to seen the action!

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have had others call me on the phone and I bluntly tell them, "Hey, the customer chose me because I did a quality job and offered more personal attention than what you could. It isn't my fault you messed. Instead of worrying about accounts you are losing, I would worry about accounts that you still have."
  8. gunner27

gunner27 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Like I said, they called me. I don't low-ball because I have all the accounts I want. I only took it because it was a referral and it is close to some other accounts I have. About 10 yrs ago I would have called my buddies and tried to have a big-ol brawl with the guy and his stooges. Wife and 2 kids changed my way of thinking.
  9. gunner27

gunner27 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

never happened to anybody else?
  10. Burger

Burger LawnSite Member
    from Montana

I am not in the commercial mowing business, but i have competition in the business i am in. One of My competitors is simply my best salesman. He blows in, hammers a bunch of accounts, upsets everyone, gets mad when they won't buy his gear and bails in a cloud of profanity. I either get a phone call, or a very nice response when i show up with a smile on my face and a can do attitude. His poor sales tactics, heavy handed treatment, and bad attitude are directly responsible for landing me some very sweet accounts.