1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hasqvarna 223L or Echo SRM-230

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by thegreensideup, Apr 2, 2008.

Which Trimmer Do You Like Best?

1. Husqvarna 223L

7 vote(s)
  2. Husqvarna 323L

11 vote(s)
  3. Echo SRM-230

10 vote(s)
  4. Echo SRM-280

8 vote(s)
  5. Other

7 vote(s)
  1. thegreensideup

thegreensideup LawnSite Member
    from SE PA

I am looking to replace my current trimmer and was wondering which one to get.
  2. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

so you pickd the 2 best one from lowes one from home depot get the husky
  3. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Dont know much about Huskies...but I know youd be happy with an Echo.
  4. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

the husky would give you alot more power then the echo just me. i am 6ft and walk pretty quick i would much rather have the husky. i think echos r junk. i have had enough catchs in the recoil's snap off to know.
  5. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

The echo 230 is weird. I have one, it won't start. Get a redmax bcz2401s or 2601s. Best for the money. Also a 2 year comm warranty!!
  6. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Why not the 231 shindaiwa about the same price plus a commercial trimmer,not to mention the speed & feed head !
  7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

My vote was for the huskys too. Dosn't really matter much wether you go with the 223 or the 323. Basicallt they are the same machine (and the 223 has the same guard as the 323 now) ((not that it matters, take it off anyway)).

I had one 323L and thought I wanted an Echo. Bought a SRM230 and HATED IT. What a POS. Line head was too clunky, bump knob hung down too low. Loading it was a huge PITA. Thing just didn't have much power, took too long to 'spool up' too (bad throttle responce). I ended up taking it back, which was interesting, thought I was going to get stuck with the thing. Took my money and went straight to Tractor Supply and bought another 323L husky.
  8. GreenSouth Landscapes

GreenSouth Landscapes LawnSite Member

In all seriousness, i do a lot of work, i mean a lot. We have had really really good success with the Husqvarna 223L. I have had 2 on one of our trucks for 2 years with very minor issues. We used to use echo 230 but we always had problems with them. I have real experience with both trimmers and without hesitation i say use the husqvarna. It has good power just not much torque, if you want to torque, buy the echo 261T.
  9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Welll the Echo 230 is a pretty good tried and proven unit. I like it because it is lighter than the bigger Echo units and if you aren't cut hedge rows it will be just fine. I took one apart last week to check the ports and they were basically clean...unlike my bigger Echo units. We bought some of the Echo orange units and they are basically too heavy.....hope they are still making the 230 I think I will go back to it.
  10. GreenSouth Landscapes

GreenSouth Landscapes LawnSite Member

you guys that are using the 230 units aren't having carb issues? I constantly fought with echo srm230 models when we used them. We will be upgrading this year to the srm261t models from our Husqvarna units but they will definetly be kept for back ups.