hassle free trimmer head.....

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by d.m.d., Jun 10, 2009.

1. d.m.d.

d.m.d. LawnSite Member

my craftsman trimmer has been a good one.i know what your thinking but it really has some hours on it for a cheap trimmer.i love the hassle free trimmer head and the .115 braided line its tough shXX.my question is im thinking of getting an echo trimmer but i dont want to give up my hassle free head and line.will it fit the echo or husqvarna.help and thanks.

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know but I have an Srm-260s and I can tell you a few things...

When they first start, you gotta let them run for about 2 minutes until it warms up and settles into a smooth rpm.
    Not sure why, but they all sputter and gargle for that bit, then all of a sudden vaaa-raoooommmm....
    Smoothest sounding 2-cycler you've ever heard, but not until it's had its time.

Also...
    After I wind the line on the head, I spray it liberally with some kind of motor oil.
    Can be anything, wd-40, liquid wrench, you name it.
    I'm cheap, I spray used motor oil on it.

Why that is so is to keep that *&%^ from binding up inside the spool.
    Oh it's only funny until it happens a few times.

They're good trimmers otherwise, I've had mine for 7 years, being commercial mine often sits outside
    exposed to the weather, it's trimmed in excess of 2 thousand yards to date.
    Worst thing is the coil did crap out on me once.

Runs good as the day I bought it.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  3. eatonpcat

eatonpcat LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the tip Topsites, I will try spraying the line with some oil when i load...Sounds interesting, I hate when the line binds, Hope it works.

4. d.m.d.

d.m.d. LawnSite Member

not sure what an srm260 cost but if i had to baby it for 2 minutes and the line was always hangin up in the head id lose it.......

5. d.m.d.

d.m.d. LawnSite Member

went and bought a redmax today.:)