Hate for Fords

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by THC, Oct 13, 2009.

1. THC

THC LawnSite Silver Member

My engine light went on in my 96 ford ranger 4x4 4 litre, 6 cylinder. a couple weeks ago. It did sound a little little rough. So I was waiting for it to go off (hoping anyway) then it snowed and was very slippery. I go to put on 4x4 and all I hear is grinding and crunching.

Take it in. Turns out to be front bearing and the u-joint is falling apart. I tell them I had a complete brake job 5 months ago and they repacked the bearings and the truck has had less then 5,000 kms put on it since. So they give me half off the labour of the Bearings:rolleyes:

For the engine light they told me the performance test ($168) said 3 cycl was misfiring and they would check wires and spark plugs bla bla bla It will cost $1080:canadaflag:.

fine. Then they phone back. They said when the technician took out the plugs he found the 4th cycl was white, which indicates it's burning some coolant, and the 3rd cycl is oily which means it's burning oil.. Possible blown head gasket.

I tell them not to do that head gasket thing.. it's $650:canadaflag: just for labour and they may need to have the head machined:dizzy:

So ****! I'm pissed. This is a reputable shop btw, Canadian Tire.. chain store all across canada. Been going there with 3 vehicles for years.

So just this year, once this work gets done (not having the head gasket done) I will have sank over 2,000 bucks into a 96 ford ranger 6 cycl. 4x4.. somebody shoot me.

*on a side note. For months I thought the exhaust looked a tiny bit weird. I would ask myself why there is vapour coming out, it doesn't always happen I suppose I convince myself it was normal, like when the weather is cold. Oil level also seems to go down a more then I think it should, though it doesn't leak under the engine.. but there isn't a smell of burning oil and the inside of the exhaust pipes isn't exactly covered in soot...

Do think I'm going to have to get this damn gasket thing fixed to? I mean at what point to I just blow up this damn truck:mad: I will never buy a ford again.

2. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

Soo...your mad about putting 2k into a 14 year old ranger with how many miles?

3. THC

THC LawnSite Silver Member

175k kilometres. and I put over a grand in last year as well and if i get the head gasket replaced it will be probably be $800 more.

4. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds pretty common to me. Some of them do run a while though. Hit or miss with Fords. I'm no fan of any truck in particular, however those Toyota 4runners tend to keep going no matter how bad they were abused. Im no expert, but isnt that about the limit for a well used ranger?

5. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

Think Canadian Tire is the problem, not the truck.

6. SLR

SLR LawnSite Gold Member

Yikes THC..whatever possesed you to have them as your main mechanic?
    After yelling and nearly clobbering the guy for doing my wheel align saying,your gonna need your front bearings adjusted,only $50..$50 frigg'n dollars to tighten one nut per side a hair.Learn well to do ALL your own mech work,learn your hated Ford inside out!
    When that engine light went on,i would of started by unplugging battery for an hour to reset computer.

7. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

I would take it somewhere else. I would never let a tire shop tear half my motor apart.

8. loafycleetus

loafycleetus LawnSite Member

do it yourself, keep the monkeys out of it.

9. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Screw chain wrenchs , find a local privateer , one who would have steered you away from dumping the grand last yr.

10. Jamie James

Jamie James LawnSite Member

I worked at Canadian tire and I can say one thing, stay away from them................. they get paid for everything they do,,,,,, point system so there looking for work,,,,,,,,, :canadaflag: