1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hate getting grass clippings in mulch!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Korey, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Korey

Korey LawnSite Senior Member

I just installed high lift blades on my old Goodall 48" WB and it is blowing clippings at least 10' away, which is great, except when I'm in close proximity to a bed. There seems to be no way to avoid getting the clippings on the beds even with the chute down. It's frustrating cuz even when I blow off the beds at low rpm, the mulch goes flying everywhere, but some of the clippings don't move!! I just mulched a house and while it doesn't look bad, it's so annoying to see clippings in black mulch!! I don't have the option of installing a mulching kit, so I wanted to see if anyone had the same problem or solutions. I've searched posts and didn't come up with answers to my question. It's driving me nuts... :mad:

And by the way, I do mow with the discharge side facing out when going around beds...
  2. MarkintheGarden

MarkintheGarden LawnSite Bronze Member

I share your pain.
    Of course a bag would do the trick, you might modify your deflector.
  3. Harvest

Harvest LawnSite Member

Just put a mulch plate over the shoot if it is available. Of course this would not work if the grass is tall or thick. I thought about trying it without the mulch kit on to see how it cuts. It may clogg up bad.
  4. Korey

Tried the mulch plate yesterday. It doesn't look as nice because it leaves a row of small grass clumps. What about when it comes time to blow off the mulch? I guess it's the type of mulch I laid down that's causing it to go all over the place... That'll teach me not to use dyed black wood chips even though my customers request it... :hammerhead:
  5. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

6. Harvest

Harvest LawnSite Member

I have the same problem with any mulch except large pine bark but that stuff is a pain to edge. I dont know of a good way to get grass out of mulch. Be sure you are blowing on an angle.
  7. Korey

Yeah I know what you mean by blowing at an angle. It's the only way to do it without "diggin in" if ya know what I mean. :laugh:
  8. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I used to have this problem until I installed full mulch kits on my mowers. You do have to slow down a bit when mowing tall thick stuff but the time saved in cleanup is worth it, IMHO.
  9. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

You need a Walker GHS unit. Its faster to collect the clippings than it is to try and blow out the beds....
  10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We mulch everything with outlet closed. Can't use a high lift blade on most mowers, need to get those wavy mulch blades. Cut grass in circles and working from outside in and pick up that row of grass that drops out and remulch it until it is at the center and them blow it away. Our don't leave that little row you descrbe.