Hate my TrimmerTrap

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Boonman, May 19, 2007.

1. Boonman

Boonman LawnSite Member
    from NY

Yep, I was wrestling with it today, like I do any other day. I grease it once a week, which is far too often for a trimmer rack. I have a 3 slot trimmertrap rack. I have two line trimmers, and a stick edger. Trouble is that the piece that slides up to open the rack, is against the trimmers themselves, making it tough to open, and it is literally chewing up the equipment. :hammerhead: It's like trying to open the door on the truck while leaning against it. Kind of a ******** idea. Oh well. Maybe next month I'll get something different. I am real annoyed with this rack. I can't believe someone in their right mind would design something to work in such a ridiculous fashion. The piece that moves up and down, should not contact the equipment. Especially with the shape of the pieces that hold the trimmers at the handle. It pulls the trimmer against this moving piece. And makes it even tougher. Like it almost wedges against it. I'm not complaining much about the force it takes to open it. Oh well. Keeps me from having to go to the gym. But when the line trimmers are getting their asses kicked from being in a rack, that is a problem.!

2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

These are very simple and yes you have to put a lock on each trimmer but I like the way they hold the hande and keep the trimmer from rolling. They could place them a little further apart but other than that they are cheap and work very well. Even if a pin or lock comes out you probably won't loose the trimmer going down the road. Not the best but maybe the best for the price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...Sell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget

trimmer.JPG

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I've had the same 3 space Trimmer Trap for 7 or 8 years now, maybe more, and I've never applied grease to it once. I didn't know you were supposed to.

The rack did wear on the handle of my Stihl trimmer but never on my Shindy trimmers.

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I'm with Richard on this. About the same amount of time if not longer, and yeah, I get a little foam handle wear, but right now there is only one manufacturer (new model) that is any better/faster.

Never lubed either.

5. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the same rack and agree with you. There hard to get off the rack. However I see it as a anti theft device because if you don't know the trick to it its hard to get the trimmers off!!! It might prevent theft of your trimmers while your out back mowing LOL!!!!

6. Duncan90si

Duncan90si LawnSite Member

You need to get the Green Touch Xtreme Series rack. It is the best on the market by far. There is no chance of damage to the trimmers due to moving or twisting, and the padlock is built into the rack so its harder to cut off.

http://www.trailerracks.com/landscape_racks.html

7. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I spray mine with WD40...but...Ive never really needed to. I guess I only do it because I think its good. Makes me feel like Im taking care of it.

8. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I agree. Visit the link above and take a look at the Xtreme Trailer racks. Your trimmers are secure, not gonna move and turn in the rack at all ... and with the lock built right into the design, you are not going to lose the lock.

Take care of your tools ... they make you money.

Also ... Lawnsite members also get a 10% discount at TrailerRacks.com

Trailer Racks is a sponsor here ... email Matt and check out their complete line of racks for ALL your stuff.

Dave

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Although I do use the Trimmer Trap equipment I must say that it is about the least secure line out there. You can use the biggest, baddest lock you want and I can empty your rack of trimmers in less than 15 seconds without making a sound, removing a bolt or cutting the lock.

10. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I've used the Trimmer Trap 3-trimmer rack for 5 years now & the only problem I have ever had is the knob came off it so I just have a threaded bolt to grab on to. No big deal though. Maybe I should get another knob.