Hats

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by rookie03, May 6, 2005.

1. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

Fisherman's hat.

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

We were boonie hats khaki, blue,and green only thing we can not wear ear protection with these.

3. HacMan91

HacMan91 LawnSite Member

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Yea mee to,can't stand the heat of a baseball cap in summer but do wear one sometimes in winter.I wear a wide brimmed sunhat that has lots of holes for ir,flow and a big bandana that I stick under it to shade my neck.The reason you need to shade your head and most importantly your neck is the sun gets the blood in the veins that go to the brain so hot it will give you heat stroke and that is life threatining.If your skin starts to tingle or you feel a little sick to your stomach,or you see red dots or if you notice your thinking has slowed or you are having a hard time making easy decisions,Then get out of the sun immediatly and get yourself cooled down with water or ice and stay in the shade as long as you can or the rest of the day.

5. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hard hat, white to reflect the sun!! :D

6. rookie03

rookie03 LawnSite Member
    from OK

Guess I'll have to try out the brim hat. I'd much rather feel better at the end of the day than listening to the Peltors. I'll have to pick up some ear plugs too.

7. Triple R

Triple R LawnSite Member

Baseball cap in the winter and a vented wide brim hat spring through summer. I've been looking for an Aussie hat, they are like the wide brim hats I use but are made of a light weight canvas and are much more durable and I believe they might even be water resistant, only down side is the price.

On a differrent note I go for the full sun protection. I use pants, long sleeved shirt, and gloves all year long. I actually feel cooler in the summer beigng all covered up. I have been doing this for at least 5 years now and our summer days are usually 95 - 105 degrees. I do go through a couple gallons of water on those hot days.

8. Triple R

Triple R LawnSite Member

Oh yeah, I also use the Peltor ear muffs under the hat. I didn't think I could but tried it one day and it worked. Might need to buy a loose fitting hat though.

9. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I purchased some mexican straw sombrero's last year, only problem is they catch to much wind on the Z and blow off, on the walkbehind or weed eating they are fine though

10. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

i wear a large sombrero

lol j/k