1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by rookie03, May 6, 2005.

1. rookie03

rookie03 LawnSite Member
    from OK

Where do you find long sleeved shirts that are light enough to wear in the summer? Also, do you wear jeans or some kind of light weight pants?
  2. Triple R

Triple R LawnSite Member

I use uniform button up shirts made by Dickies. I do wear denim pants but at my previous employer I used the uniform slacks they are cooler. Once you start to sweat a little your clothes act like a swamp cooler and even a light breeze will cool you down significantly. Now in the summer if I don't use a long sleeved shirt the sun feels like it's burning my skin.
  3. jimslawns

jimslawns LawnSite Senior Member

"Baseball style hat but, I prefer the brim hat. Only problem is I wear ear muffs and I can't wear them and a brim hat."

Can't Where your Peltors???

OK, for you all who experience the above.... I have found a hat with a good brim, lightweight, and adjustable size.

Check out Columbia Sportsware Hat at your local camping/hiking store. If you tape the antenna down on your peltors they fit confortably under hat. Was $25 when I got one at the beginning of the season. :waving:
  4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

That looks like a good hat I might try it this year cuz the straw ones just don't last and when I take um off I tend to throw in the truck and you know what happens to straw hats thrown into the cab of the truck..Crush and smash.
  5. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I just wear a baseball had. With (you guessed it, for those who know me) "Wright Commercial product" on it.
  6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Greenfrog,I have total respect for anyone who can work in the heat of the Central Valley,alot of times there is no breeze how do you stand it then.That has gotta be the hottest hardest to breathe place to work in the U.S.A.what with the air quality that can do permenant lung damage every time you take a breath,Do you work on bad air days?And the heat is like an oven,it's horrible working conditions for you if you are where I think you are I feel not only respect,but I feel sorry for you.
  7. Triple R

Triple R LawnSite Member

We do have some of the worst air in the country. Not much air movement in the summer and usually 100 degrees. It doesn't feel as bad since I quit my first/last job, I was a spray tech and had to wear alot of PPE. Imagine this in the summer, coveralls, disposable respirator, rubber boots and gloves and heat in the upper 90's and dragging 300' of hose. I thought I was going to die on some of those days. It was hard to walk away from that big paycheck though, I quit three times before I finally walked away for good.
  8. gogetter

gogetter Banned

For the guys that said they wear (or want to wear) a wide brim hat, but can't use Peltors then, how about the boonies with snaps to hold up the sides?

You would still have the brim to protect your face and neck, but with the sides snapped up, you could still wear Peltors/hearing protection over the hat then.

I don't wear a hat, but I should, and one of these days I'll finally just do it.
    It's just stupid vanity holding me back, hats don't look good on me.

I would probably go with a boonie for face AND neck protection.
  9. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Well I normally wear something like this:

But I'm beginning to consider a straw hat, Southern States usually has good deals on them.

10. Sweetwater

Sweetwater LawnSite Member

Basebell 'til it starts scorchin...then the desert boonie, flip the sides up Desert Storm style and put on the muffs. When it gets even hotter, the sides come down and the plugs go in!