Haul 10k w/a Chevy 2500?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by zz4guy, Mar 7, 2007.

1. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

I'd like to get a 7000lb skid steer. Right now I have a Chevy 2500 that I'd like to haul it with so I don't need to get a new truck. Is this feasable at least in the short term? The truck GVWR is something like 8800 and the truck weighs about 4400.

Sure it's over the weight, but would it work or is this asking for trouble?

2. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

what year truck and what engine??

3. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

1992; 350 engine; has the 4L80E heavy duty transmission

4. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I am assuming it is the Light 2500. I would think you could get by with that. It certainly isn't going to be in the "hammer lane" on the freeway but you should be able to pull 10 K with that truck. It would probably be better if it was on a gooseneck trailer.

5. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

its fine until DOT stops you and slaps a fine for every Lb over weigh you are....

Why do something that the truck was not designed for. remeber the weight included everythig. fuel, passengers, cargo, so more liekly than not you end being 3000lbs over weight...And if for some reason you have an accident....hope you have good lawyer since your insurance company will scream.....

6. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Why do you say it will be 3,000 lbs overweight?? The trucks towing cap. is 10k I beleive for this year. My 94 GMC 2500 the GVWR was 8600 and the truck weighed 5,270 lbs with me, full tank of fuel and a Meyer ez mount plow frame in the front. So just to help everyone else out, do a little math first before whining about DOT and other crap. And yes, the truck can easily tow the bobcat. Just be sure to get a good trailer brake controller, and other proper safety stuff on the trailer and you will be fine. But if I go with this math suggested by you MarcSmith, the truck can only pull around 3000 lbs?? A Ford Ranger can do that.

7. MarcSmith

My bad I did a quick search on KBB and came up with 7700 lbs tow cap. but I went back and checked again and it shows 10K I must have selected 1500 not 2500 on the truck type...

so if you towed 10K behind a 1500 you'd be around 3k over but since thats not the case....I'll chew on my foot a while now....

I was towing an empty tandem axle trailer (10K rated) in an 03 f250 4x4 with a reading service body and myer plow. Got stopped in a roadside safety inspect and I was 1500 over.....oops

8. thebobcatkid86

thebobcatkid86 LawnSite Member

I want to tell you guys a little story about what vehicles are really capable of. My great uncle was a trucker many years ago, amongst his many hats hes worn over the years. When I was about 3 years old he fell in love, packed up and moved to Houston Texas. When he moved he didnt want to make more than one trip. He borrowed a big center hitch box trailer from a friend and hooked it up to his, I believe Ford F350 dually. He packed up everything he owned, including all his equipment for his metal fabrication business, which he still does to this day. So anyway he packed everything up and drove to Houston. Being a trucker in the past he was very careful to always check the tires enroute and he noticed that they kept getting warm and he kept having to add air. This went on for some time and he finally decided to find out what this rig weighed. So he pulls into a feed store off the interstate, puts it up on the scales just to find out what it weighs. The total gross weight of that rig truck, trailer and load..... 42,000+lbs! He drove that rig 1360+ miles from Cleveland Ohio to Houston Texas, no blowouts, no overheating, no problems at all except that he never got past double nickles, even on the prarie. That is all I have to say about what trucks are really capable of. He told me that as far as he's concerned, as far as trucks go most things inbetween a F350 dually and a single axle semi are a waste of time and money. While I know they have thier purposes, sometimes when I think about it I can see where hes coming from. Im not saying that its smart or that its even safe but I just thought Id share that story.

9. MarcSmith

every peice of equipment has a built in "safety limit" so to speak....How many of had taken peices of equipement and done things that we were not suposed to do. and Hey it worked out...no harm no foul...buut th more you think about it...what could have happened?

Heck I put 5 yards of palletized mulch in back of f150 with helper springs... I did it. it wasn't right, but...it was only couple miles...

The limits and recomendations are their for yoru safety and that of the people around you.....you think ford just pulled those weight numbers out of their ass?

What if oneof your uncles tires blew out and all his 42K lbs went across three lanes of traffic and injured a few people.... Not such a great story then is it...

I hate preaching safety but Ive seen enough stuff that were so easily preventable its mind boggling.....But thats another topic....

10. Chop Stuff Up

Chop Stuff Up LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 92 2500 and the GVWR is 7200 on it. Might wanna double check? I haven't towed anything more than 5k so can't really help you with that.