Hauled the first heavy load with 450 today

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Gravel Rat, May 24, 2007.

1. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Went and picked up 3 yards of wet heavy topsoil on the 03 F-450 it is its first heavy load ie over 2000 lbs. I figured I had 7000 to 7500 lbs on the truck and it hauled it fine. The exhaust brake helps and the 6.0 works good I didn't push it but at 2000 rpm I could push on the go pedal even more. My old 7.3 PSD wouldn't have climbed the hills as easy.

I'am definatly going to need to get a dump box I had two other guys to help me shovel off the load. I think the truck will work out well for doing small deliveries on the side.

2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Nah, you don't need a box. Keep the flatbed, way more versatile. Just get out yer welder and throw a 12K lb. scissor lift under the bed. Then you have a flatbed when you need it and a dump box with removable sides.

I loved our F450, always had enough grunt to get the job done. I had 5, 1,200 lb. bags of compost on it once, handled it fine except the load was pretty topheavy.

3. Gravel Rat

I have been keeping my eye out for a good used flatdeck. I have a hoist already its been sitting in the basement for almost a year :laugh:

I may buy a brandnew flatdeck and put my hoist on it. I was looking at a 11' dump box with fold down sides but that adds alot of extra weight. A flatdeck with wood sides weighs 300-400lbs less.

The deck that is on the truck now needs quite abit of work and its a homemade deck its pretty crude it isn't square or straight.

4. Shadetree Ltd

Shadetree Ltd LawnSite Senior Member

I am not sure but I think that truck was used to haul around a small Takeuchi excavator. I see a new Dodge flatdeck with the exact same paint scheme towing it now.

5. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

What about a contractor dump with fold down sides?

6. Gravel Rat

I think they used the truck for a service truck of some sort because it has custom made crossmembers like a crane was bolted on it. Truck has PTO but the hydraulics have been removed. I assume the company bought a Dodge because I bought the truck from Willowbrook Chrysler in Surrey.

wanabe I have been looking at a contractor body there is a 4 week waiting list for one.