hauling away grass in an enclosed trailer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Matt'slawncare, Apr 6, 2003.

1. Matt'slawncare

Matt'slawncare LawnSite Member

I was just wondering for those of you that have enclosed trailers how do you haul your grass/leaves in it or do you put it in the back of your truck and go dump? This question has been bothering me for awhile because where i live there isn't curb side pick up and i also think it would look bad just having it sit there at the curb. Thanks for the help.

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

a little of both...I really hardly bag any lawns because its better to leave clippings on the lawn. But when I do I put it in the bed of the truck. Now during the fall and spring time when there is still leaves with the lawn we bag them and put them in an enclosed trailer.

3. AGG Lawn Maintenance

AGG Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from Elberon

Fortunately for us in most towns we work in they have curbside pick up. The one town that doesn't we haul the debris in the back of our trucks to the dump site. I would not recommend hauling it away in the enclosed trailer unless you plan to dump it that day. (Stinks) You can neutralize the smell with lime though, but I still not would recommend it.

4. Matt'slawncare

Matt'slawncare LawnSite Member

Thank you guys for your help. If i do get a enclosed trailer i will fill the back of my truck first and then put it in bags. I always do dump my grass the same day now, because i learned the hard way on that.

5. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I left some grass and leaves in my open trailer overnight once, and steam was coming off them the next morning. Reminded me of the old logging/chipping days we would have a trailer full of chips and the steam would be coming out the vents located along the front of the trailer. When I put leaves/grass in my open trailer, I put a tarp down and pull it out with my ztr or quad.