1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hauling concrete / dirt / pavement?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by KAT_Ayanami, Oct 7, 2007.

1. KAT_Ayanami

KAT_Ayanami LawnSite Member

Hi, I have a simple question...

I'm having problems finding out how to haul away old concrete, dirt and pavement in the state of Maryland.

I know that It should be easy... but I cannot seem to find any good company that would do that kind of job.

We build driveways and patios, and we dont know if it would be better to rent trucks, ask a company to bring them, or pay them to remove the dirt and other materials by themselves....

Somebody on Maryland that could give me some info on this matter?

Thank You!

[EDIT: Upppss, sorry, this is for residential and not commercial]
  2. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak LawnSite Senior Member

You don't own any trucks or trailers?
  3. KAT_Ayanami

2 Pick ups, but I cannot haul a max of 1.5 cubic yards per load... some works have more than 13cy...
  4. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Just sub to a excavator. Thats what i do. Find a small company to use.
  5. kevin81

kevin81 LawnSite Member

Depending on were you are located i may be able to help you with the hauling and or the excavating.
  6. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Im in w. md. are you just trying to get rid of or what? I have many dump sites i haul old blocks, excavation fill, etc to. Im always looking for more so my haul time is fast. However i dont own a dump my self any more i actually have a friend who sells mulch and top soil that i give all of my trucking to. He hauls for 55.00/hr. on a 2 hour notice for me. He can haul away 12 ton at a time so i give all of my business to him. I can actually operate with less overhead subbing the trucking. Trucks are the neccessary evil, i never care to own one any more. A lot of times i look for cont. and individials looking for fill. I just hydro-seeded a bank for a guy last week who was taking fill for 2 years to fill in like a hollow behind his house. He actually had 800 tri-axles loads dumped there over 2 years.
  7. capetan

capetan LawnSite Member

I would use a dumpster, just get one dropped off and fill it ... a dumpster rental should be like 500 to 1000, check craigslist under the moving labor category.......but what are you looking for a dumpster, dump truck, hauling company, do you have equipment for lifting concrete and dirt, ?
  8. KAT_Ayanami

Well, we are making replacements on driveways and sidewalks... so we just want to haul away and get rid of old concrete, asphalt and the tipical 4" of dirt underneath.

The problem is that I have been calling companies from yellowpages and they charge a lot!

I found a 15cy dumpster for $350 a week, which is more or less a good offer, but we really try to take everything out fast.
    The problem is that the cheapest truck I have found was $60/h and $100 per truck load (????) I guess he was charging me the dumpster fee?

We can rent a bobcat to get everything up on the truck... but I don't know if that would be that good since I would have to rent a BIG bobcat to get that high.

So, could you give me a list of companies that do this kind of job?
    Also, could you give me a list of places to dump this waste? (I only know the one on Cherry Mill Rd and on Shady groove...)

Thanks Mike33 and everybody else, I will have you into consideration if I nobody matches your price.

9. andrewcarrigan

andrewcarrigan LawnSite Member
    from alberta

60.00hr and 100.00 load how much cheaper do u want it to be i would be charging 150.00hr and600.00load
  10. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

here companies will not let you load concrete with a bobcat. it drops the chunks over the side, and will tear up the sides and floor of the bed.