1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hauling in the rain?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Island Lawn, Mar 20, 2001.

1. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I'm on the way to my eXmark dealer to get a mulch kit installed on my 48" Metro HP. My dealer is 20 miles away.

It's RAINING!

How do I cover my mower?
    What should I use?

I dont want to drag a flapping tarp down the highway, but this might be my only option. UNLESS, y'all got some better ideas!

Please help.

2. Matt

Matt LawnSite Member

Haven't found a need to cover equipment in the rain. Sort of like a pressure washer effect. We don't leave them outside in the rain, but a little bit now and them isn't going to hurt them.
  3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Go buy the mulch kit. It comes with instructions. Save the $ on your dealers labor. Come home, do it in the comfort of your own garage. It's always a good idea to learn the fundamentals of your machine.
  4. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with both. You can drive to your dealers. NO biggie. It is when you start parking out in the rain over night that it gets to your machine.

It is also good to learn how to put on your mulch kit. There are quite a few bolts and the such to put on. You will want to know where they all are before you get them all covered with grass cuttings. On the other hand, i just had my mulch kit installed and i had my dealer do it. hehe.

Acute cut
  5. jason2

jason2 LawnSite Member

I agree with the others about the rain. Helps wash away some of the dust and crap. Since I have no shop or garage, my stuff gets parked under a big pine tree at home when it's raining. Not ideal, but hasn't hurt anything yet.
  6. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Since we've had all this great rain this year I can't pull my trailer down in the shop without getting stuck! The other day we had a nice southern storm blow through and I had not unloaded the trailer so guess what...........there they sat for 2 days and 7.5 " of rain! It ain't gonna hurt the machine to ride in the rain.
  7. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

My oldest Chopper sits on the trailer from the first day we mow around April 1 til the last leaf is chopped up and it has snowed a couple of times around Dec. 1 and it hasn't had any major related moisture problems that I know of. I feel it is no different than getting washed once or twice a week.
  8. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn`t worry about the rain, and I agree with 1majortom about putting the kit on yourself if you have the time,I put the kit on mine and it didn`t take very long. If I want to take it off I know how to do it with no trouble.
  9. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I left before I got the advice. Thanks for the info anyway!

I drug the tarp all the way there!

When leaving my dealer, the tarp wouldn't cooperate! I was soaked and so was my mower! The tarp was much more trouble than it was worth!
    Everyone got a big laugh!
    Now you can too!

I put away the tarp and drove on home.

It's sitting out in the rain now as I type! LOL!

I was just babying my new toy!

NOW, I know!!
  10. beck

beck LawnSite Senior Member

I believe W.E. Chapps has a cover for most mowers.

If you are interested.