Hauling off fallen tree...bid help?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Yater, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Yater

Yater LawnSite Senior Member

I have a good 1/2 acre account who has a big chunk of tree sitting in her backyard. Someone trimmed the dead tree years ago and it's just an ~8' section at maybe 36" in diameter...laying on the ground. My 16" chainsaw won't cut through it but I'm thinking about sectioning it up and chopping it as firewood. I'm looking for a ballpark for hauling this dude off. I don't think I'm up to grinding the stump (judging by the homeowners budget).

I'm scheduled to mow the place in the morning. I'll get pictures tomorrow. Any ideas until then?
  2. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

$150 bucks
  3. Yater

Nice. I dont' think I'd like to mess with it for less than that. Thanks
  4. FLAhaulboy

FLAhaulboy LawnSite Senior Member

If your business isnt setup to do this kind of work (small saw), Then definitely do NOT do it. I have a big saw and my quote would be at least $250.+. Your client ought to be calling a tree service instead.
  5. mowzum

mowzum LawnSite Member

I quit fooling with trees about 5 years ago and have found a couple of great reliable honest tree services I reccomend to my customers wish I'd of done it 10 years ago those guys come in with chippers and are gone before I could put one load of trimmings in the back of my truck not to mention the time I burned also getting behind on my other jobs. Sure it payed extra but just seemed too time consuming for what it was worth.
  6. Yater

I have a tree guy down the street. I may hand him some of my business cards and drop his name to the lady. It would probably pay off long-term.
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I took down this one smallish 15-20 foot tree one day, just a cut and drop it, nice as can be... Then it had to be hauled off to a wooded area and due to time constraints I hooked the whole beast to my Ztr with a chain and off it went, no problem (or so I thought).

When I went to change the blades later I found one was irrepairably bent.
    And I kept my deck in the raised (locked) position and I never did turn them on, but I must've hit something and so I've got a $20 blade needs replacing and it was almost brand new still. In 6+ years I've only bent two blades, but both had to do with using a machine in ways it should not have been used.

Now I suppose I could've let this one work itself out, on the other hand I'm the dummy who accepted the job...
    It wasn't a big tree but the customer didn't want to pay a whole lot and guess who got stuck with the liability?

Good thing that's all it was, I wasn't steamed up about it but it does kind of chalk up to lessons learned.

I would bid $200 myself.